Illinois, Macon County, Decatur Public Library Collections (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Illinois, Macon County, Decatur Public Library Collections, 1879-2007 .
This Collection will include records from 1879 to 2007.
The collection consists of images of card indexes from the Decatur Public Library. The records include:
- Obituary indexes (1879-2007) - Arranged by year
- Military indexes (1917-1919)
Newspapers included obituaries from their beginning issues.
For a list of record categories currently published in this collection, select the Browse link from the collection landing page.
These obituaries generally contain the following information:
- Name of deceased
- Date and place of death
- Cause of death
- Date and place of burial
The World War I Soldiers Cards contain:
- Names of soldiers and enlistees
- Death information
How to Use the Record
To search the collection,
⇒Select "Browse through images" on the initial collection page
⇒Select "Record Catagory"
⇒Select "Record Type, Volume, and Year Range" which takes you to the images.
Look at the images one by one comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine which one is your ancestor. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to make this determination.
To begin your search you will need to know the following:
- The person’s name
- The approximate death date
- The person’s last known residence
Once you have located your ancestor’s obituary, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. These records are often brief so it can be easy to confuse individuals. Compare what information is given with what you already know about your ancestor to make sure it is the correct person.
Next, look at the pieces of information given in the obituary for new information. Add any new information to your records of each family. You should also look for leads to other records about your ancestors.
- Use the birth date or year to search for birth records.
- Use the birth date along with relative’s names to find the family in census records.
- Use the locality and relative’s names to locate church and land records.
- The name of the undertaker or mortuary could lead you to funeral and cemetery records, which often include the names and residences of other family members.
- Compile the entries for every person who has the same surname; this is especially helpful in rural areas or if the surname is unusual.
- Continue to search the records to identify children, siblings, parents, and other relatives of the deceased who may have been buried in the same cemetery or nearby. This can help you identify other generations of your family. Repeat this process for each new generation you identify.
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct.
- If the person was in the military use the listed information to locate their military records
If you are unable to find the ancestors you are looking for, try the following:
- Check for variant spellings of the surnames.
- Search the indexes and records of nearby cemeteries.
|FHL Place Illinois, Macon, Decatur items or FHL Keyword United States, Illinois, Macon, Decatur items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see Illinois Archives and Libraries.|
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. Guidelines are available to help you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide. If you would like to get more involved join the WikiProject FamilySearch Records.|
Citing FamilySearch Historical Collections
Citations for individual image records are available for this collection. Browse through images in this collection and click on the "Show Citation" box: Illinois, Macon County, Decatur Public Library Collections, 1879-2007
When you copy information from a record, you should list where you found the information. This will help you or others to find the record again. It is also good to keep track of records where you did not find information, including the names of the people you looked for in the records.
Citation for This Collection
The following citation refers to the original source of the information published in FamilySearch.org Historical Records collections. Sources include the author, custodian, publisher, and archive for the original records.
- "Illinois, Macon County, Decatur Public Library Collections, 1879-2007" Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2013.
- This page was last modified on 25 June 2014, at 20:25.
- This page has been accessed 3,260 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki