Illinois, Tazewell County, Obituary Card Index from the Pekin Times (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Illinois, Tazewell County, Obituary Card Index from the "Pekin Times", 1914-2007 .
The collection consists of a name index and images of an obituary card index at the Pekin Public Library. It covers the years from 1914 to 2007.
For an alphabetical list of records currently published in this collection, select the Browse link from the collection landing page.
Obituary Index cards may include the following information:
- Full name of deceased
- Date of birth
- Date of death
- Date of Burial
- Place of burial
How to Use the Record
To begin your search you will need to know the following:
- The person’s name
- The approximate death date
- The person’s last known residence
Search the Collection
To search the collection by name fill in your ancestor’s name in the initial search page. This search will return a list of possible matches. Compare the information about those in the list to what you already know about your own ancestors to determine if this is the correct family or person.
To search the collection image by image
⇒Select "Browse" link in the initial search page
⇒Select "Surname Range" which takes you to the images
Search the collection by image comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine which one is your ancestor.
Be aware that with either search you may need to compare the information about more than one person to make this determination.
As you are searching it is helpful to know such information as your ancestor’s given name and surname, some identifying information such as residence and age, and family relationships. Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name as your ancestor and that your ancestor may have used nicknames or different names at different times.
- If your ancestor used an alias or a nickname, be sure to check for those alternate names.
- Even though these indexes are very accurate they may still contain inaccuracies, such as altered spellings, misinterpretations, and optical character recognition errors if the information was scanned.
For tips about searching on-line collections see the on-line video at FamilySearch Search Tips.
Using the Information
Next, look at the pieces of information given in the obituary for new information. Add any new information to your records of each family. You should also look for leads to other records about your ancestors. For example:
- Use the birth date or year to search for birth records.
- Use the birth date along with the residence and relative’s names to find the family in census, church and land records.
Tips to Keep in Mind
- The name of the undertaker or mortuary could lead you to funeral and cemetery records, which often include the names and residences of other family members.
- Compile the entries for every person who has the same surname; this is especially helpful in rural areas or if the surname is unusual.
- Continue to search the records to identify children, siblings, parents, and other relatives of the deceased who may have been buried in the same cemetery or nearby. This can help you identify other generations of your family. Repeat this process for each new generation you identify.
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct.
Unable to Find Your Ancestor?
- Check for variant spellings of the surnames.
- Search the indexes and records of nearby cemeteries.
|FHL Place United States, Illinois, Tazewell items or FHL Keyword Illinois, Tazewell items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see Illinois Archives and Libraries.|
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. Guidelines are available to help you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide. If you would like to get more involved join the WikiProject FamilySearch Records.|
Citation for This Collection
The following citation refers to the original source of the information published in FamilySearch.org Historical Records collections. Sources include the author, custodian, publisher, and archive for the original records.
- "Illinois, Tazewell County, Obituary Card Index from the Pekin Times, 1914-2007" Index and Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2013. Citing Pekin Public Library.
- This page was last modified on 21 August 2014, at 20:53.
- This page has been accessed 5,375 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki