From FamilySearch Wiki
Illinois may refer to:
A State or Territory
- Illinois, a mid-western state of the United States.
It may also refer to:
- Illinois Country, a region of colonial Virginia created in 1778 from all of Augusta County's lands which were beyond the Ohio River. This land was ceded to the United States in 1784 and later became part of the Northwest Territory. This became the states of Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, and part of Minnesota.
- Illinois Territory, an organized territory of the United States from 1809 to 1818.
- Illinois River, a principal tributary of the Mississippi River in central Illinois state rising from the confluence of the Kankakee and Des Plaines rivers near Joliet, Illinois, flowing west, then southwest, then south joining the Mississippi 25 miles north of St. Louis.
- Illinois River (Oklahoma/Arkansas) rises in the Ozark Mountains of northwest Arkansas, near Fayetteville and flows west into northeast Oklahoma, then southwest and south through the mountains of eastern Oklahoma, past Scraper and Tahlequah into the Arkansas River near Musckogee.
- Illinois River (Oregon), rising in Josepine County and winding northwest joining the Rogue River at the Curry County line, 75 miles from the Pacific.
- Illinois River (Colorado), a tributary of the Michigan River, in Jackson County in north central Colorado.
An American Indian Tribe or Language
- Illiniwek or Illinois Confederation, a tribe of North America
- Miami-Illinois language, spoken by the Illiniwek
This page was last modified on 30 January 2015, at 02:10.
This page has been accessed 1,093 times.