Illinois Probate Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)/Known IssuesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
| This page was created by FamilySearch Historical Records personnel. It details problems identified within this collection and answers to those problems.
If you wish to comment, please visit the talk page to post your comments.
NOTE: For a way to determine what digital records are likely to be found within a collection or how to find missing images elsewhere, see Article 56000, How to use Film Notes in the Catalog to determine the content of a final browse point in Historical Records.
NOTE: Most missing records are available on microfilm. See Ordering Microfilm or Microfiche for instructions on ordering microfilm as well as finding a local FamilySearch Center where you can view the films.
Question #1: Some records are missing. Where can they be viewed?
Answer #1: See answers below for information about known missing records and their respective film numbers, if available, or alternate online location:
- Jersey > Index to Estate Papers V. A, 1839-1888 will not open. Until this problem is fixed, you can order film number 1310676.
- Livingston > Wills 1867-1883 vol A is missing the index page for I/J. The page was missed on the original microfilm and are not available.
- Probate Records for Pike County are not available online, but they are available on microfilms; see Probate Records, 1821-1873 in the Catalog.
- Schuyler > Probate Index 1827-1926, V. 002 begins with the letter “M”. The first half of the index (A-L) is found in the browse point Court papers index 1837-1921, vol 002.
- Woodford > Probate records 1862-1864, Vol. B is missing the last part of the book. The remainder of these images are available on Film 1401869 or you can view them at Woodford > Probate records 1865-1866 vol B.
Question #2: The Event Type and Year Range (browse point) title does not properly reflect the actual digital record content. Is there a way to determine what digital records are likely to be found within a collection?
Answer #2: The following list of known browse point discrepancies describes the event type or year range that actually exist in this collection:
- Johnson > Probate journal 1874-1877 vol C data range should be 1866-1877.
- Johnson > Index to probate files 1860-1870 vol 1 year span should be 1860-1873
- McHenry > Non-Probated Wills 1886-1976 should have been titled Index to Non-Probated Wills 1886-1976.
- McHenry > Probate Records Vol. 004, 1844-1985 does not contain Probate Records, but index to estate files. Image 1 and 2 are the cover of a book titled Petitions for Citizenship, but there are no petitions shown. Image 3 states that this waypoint contains the records for Index to Estate Files 1844-1986.
Question #3: There are naturalization and other types of records mixed in with the probate records from some counties. Which counties have these records?
Answer #3: Below is a list of the counties with non-probate records and the name of the records.
- Naturalization and Citizenship Vol. E, 1872-1888 and 1894-1946
- Naturalization and Citizenship, 1886-1904 and 1902-1909
- Naturalization and Citizenship Vol. F 1913-1920
- Naturalization and Citizenship Vol. G 1915-1929
- Military Record, 1861-1864 and 1861-1865
- Naturalization and Citizenship V. A-E, 1840-1929
- Declaration of Intentions, 1929-1933
- Naturalization Records, 1924-1932 and 1929-1947 and 1928-1929
- Administrator’s Records, 1844-1848
- Atlas 1875
- County Commissioner’s Records, 1824-1836
- Marks and Brands, 1849-1884
- Registry of Negroes 1809-1862
- School Commissioner’s Record, 1833-1857
Rock Island County
- Declaration of intentions v. 1, 1872-1878
- Naturalization Index, 1872-1906
- Naturalization Index v. 1, 1851-1962
- Naturalization and Citizenship records, 1860-1898.
If you encounter additional problems with this collection, feel free to report them at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the following information:
- If browsing this collection: please include the full path you followed to where the problem occurred. The browse path is located above the Image viewer window.
For example: Illinois, Probate Records, 1819-1970 > Jasper > Probate records 1856-1858 vol B > image 28 of 277.
- If reporting a technical issue: please include your operating system and browser version, such as Windows XP and Internet Explorer.
Your assistance will help ensure that future revisions will be considered.
Return to the Illinois Probate Records (FamilySearch Historical Records) Learn More page.
Return to the Illinois, Probate Records, 1819-1970 collection at FamilySearch.org.
- This page was last modified on 25 November 2014, at 17:58.
- This page has been accessed 1,022 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More