Illogan, CornwallEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Illogan, Cornwall ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Illogan Church Cornwall
|Poor Law Union||Redruth PLU|
|Parish registers: 1539|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1613|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall|
|Location of Archive|
|Cornwall Record Office|
ILLOGAN (St. Illogan), a parish, in the union of Redruth, E. division of the hundred of Penwith, W. division of Cornwall, 2¾ miles (N. W.) from Redruth. The Wesleyans and Bryanites have places of worship.
Illogan is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cornwall.Other places in the parish include: Brea, Bridge, Carn Brea, Forest, Illogan Downs, Pool, Portreath, Trevenson Moor, and Voguebeloth. Illogan (Cornish: Egloshal)is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Penwith
The church is dedicated to Saint Illogan, of whom little is known. The tower is all that remains of the medieval church: the new church was separate from it and was built to the designs of J. P. St Aubyn in 1846. Notable features are some fine monuments of the Bassets and others and the granite font. The church contains a brass to James Basset, 1604
Illogan was a prominent centre of mining in the early industrial age and the birthplace of engineer and inventor Richard Trevithick.
Births, marriages and deaths were kept by the government from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is Free BMD.
Illogan, Cornwall parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Illogan, Cornwall Online Parish Records|
||1540-1676, 1886-1938|| |
|FS PRs||1539-1699||1539-1699, 1854-1907||1539-1699, 1880-2001|
The Genealogical Society of Utah has no microfilm of the parish registers refer to the FamilySearch Catalogue for film numbers for Bishop's Transcripts and transcripts of the parish.
Bishop's Transcripts Microfilm of original records at the District Probate Court, Bodmin, Cornwall in 1952
|Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1683-1685, 1694-1696, 1701-1703, 1708-1709, 1711-1721, 1716-1719, 1721-1737, 1741-1743, 1748-1749, 1745-1746, 1744-1745, 1746-1747, 1749-1750, 1747-1748, 1750-1751, 1771-1773, 1772, 1770-1771, 1769-1770, 1768-1769, 1767-1768, 1766-1667, 1765-1766, 1764-1765, 1763-1764, 1762-1763, 1761-1762, 1760-1761, 1759-1760, 1758-1759, 1756-1757, 1755-1756, 1753-1754, 1752-1753, 1751-1752.|| FHL BRITISH Film |
90250 Item 1
Cornwall Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource is the Cornwall Online Parish Clerks page for the parish.
The history registers and much more have been contributed by the Online Parish clerk for Illogan.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241264.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were file by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cornwall Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdiction by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
There are many maps and gazetteers showing English places. Valuable web sites are:
- England Jurisdictions 1851
- Vision of Britain
Illogan in GENUKI
http://www.saint-illogan.org.uk/index.html for information about the parish
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 608-611 Date accessed: 18 March 2013
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Coverage by Parish,' Cornwall Online Parish Clerks, accessed 2 December 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Baptisms', Find My Past, accessed 22 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Marriages', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Burials', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 18 November 2013.
- ↑ 'England, Cornwall and Devon Parish Registers, 1538-2010', FamilySearch, accessed 25 November 2013.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Cornwall, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 21 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Parish Records,' TheGenealogist, accessed 22 May 2014.
- This page was last modified on 30 November 2014, at 06:22.
- This page has been accessed 2,978 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page