Independence County, ArkansasEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Independence County Arkansas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Independence County, Arkansas|
Location in the state of Arkansas
Location of Arkansas in the U.S.
|Founded||October 23, 1820|
|Address|| Independence County Courthouse|
192 East Main Street;
Batesville, AR 725091
Independence County Courthouse
192 East Main Street;
Batesville, AR 725091
County Clerk has marriage records from 1826 and probate records from 1839; Clerk Circuit Court has divorce, court and land records; County Library has burial records.
County seat: Batesville 
See an interactive map of Independence County boundary changes at N2Genealogy.
Batesville, Newark, Sulphur Rock, Southside, Magness, Pleasant Plains, Desha, Locust Grove, Bethesda, Cushman, Hickory Valley, Rosie, Oil Trough
- Cemeteries in Independence County
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Arkansas denominations, view the Arkansas Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Arkansas Land and Property for additional information about early Arkansas land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Independence County, Arkansas. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see Arkansas Local Histories.
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital version at Google Books. 1967 reprint: FHL Collection 973 X2pc 1840. [See Arkansas, Independence County on page 91.]
- Men from this county enlisted in the 3rd Regiment, Arkansas Cavalry (Union), 4th Regiment, Arkansas Infantry, 7th Regiment, Arkansas Infantry, 31st Regiment, Arkansas Infantry (Confederate), Companies F and I, 38th Regiment, Arkansas Infantry (Confederate), 45th Regiment, Arkansas Cavalry (Confederate), and the 1st Regiment, Arkansas Mounted Rifles (Confederate).
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Independence County, Arkansas newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records of Arkansas have been kept by the probate or county courts. You can obtain copies of the original records by contacting the clerk's office in the county courthouse.
The Family History Library has microfilm copies of many Arkansas probate records. See Arkansas Probate Records for more information about Probate records in Arkansas, including statewide indexes.
Arkansas tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years for some counties. For more information see Arkansas Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Arkansas Vital Records State Department of Health or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also Arkansas Vital Records Online and Arkansas Statewide Indexes and Collections at the Family History Library.
- 1826-1951 - Independence County Marriage Books [A]-Z, A1-F1 Index 1826-1951 in Arkansas, County Marriages, 1837-1957 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1826-1921 - Independence County Marriage Index 1826-1921 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- Independence County Historical Society
- White River Regional Library
- Lyon College
- Old Independence Regional Museum
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Independence County, Arkansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), p. 68.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Desmond Walls Allen, Third Arkansas Union Cavalry, (Conway, Arkansas: Arkansas Research, c1987), p. 33-92. FHL book 976.7 M28dc
- ↑ Desmond Walls Allen, Fourth Arkansas Union Infantry, (Conway, Arkansas: Arkansas Research, c1987), p. 1. FHL book 976.7 M28dae
- ↑ Desmond Walls Allen, The Seventh Arkansas Confederate Infantry, (Conway, Arkansas: Arkansas Research, c1988) FHL book 976.7 M22adw
- ↑ Ronald R. Bass, History of the Thirty-first Arkansas Confederate Infantry, (Conway, Arkansas: Arkansas Research, c1996), p. 12 FHL book 976.7 M2ba
- ↑ Desmond Walls Allen, Thirty-eighth Arkansas Confederate Infantry, (Conway, Arkansas: Arkansas Research, c1988), p. 1. FHL book 976.7 M2at
- ↑ Desmond Walls Allen, Forty-fifth Arkansas Confederate Calvary, (Conway, Arkansas: Arkansas Research, c1988), p. 1. FHL book 976.7 M2af
- ↑ Desmond Walls Allen, First Arkansas Confederate Mounted Rifles, (Conway, Arkansas: Arkansas Research, c1988), p. 2. FHL book 976.7 M2a
- ↑ FamilySearch Wiki contributors, "Arkansas County Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)," in FamilySearch Wiki, accessed 18 April 2013.
- ↑ Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/0/0d/Igiarkansasem.pdf.
|This Arkansas-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- This page was last modified on 17 May 2013, at 20:36.
- This page has been accessed 1,826 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More