Indians of West VirginiaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
To learn how to get started with American Indian research, find research facilities, and American Indian websites click here.
Tribes and Bands of West Virginia
- Cherokee -- Mostly associated with North Carolina and points south and west.
The majority of records of individuals were those created by the agencies. Some records may be available to tribal members through the tribal headquarters.They were (and are) the local office of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, and were charged with maintaining records of the activities of those under their responsibility. Among these records are:
- Allotment records
- Annuity rolls
- Census records
- Health records
- School census and records
- Vital records
For Further Reading
See also American Indian For Further Reading.
- FamilySearch Catalog Places search United States, West Virginia - Native races for titles of interest
- Indians of Virginia Wiki page
- Virginia Military Records Wiki page for a list of forts
- Gilbert, William Harlen, Jr. Surviving Indian Groups in the Eastern United States. Pp. 407-438 of the Smithsonian Report for 1948. Available online.
- ↑ Hodge, Frederick Webb. Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico. Washington D.C.:Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethnology, Bulletin #30 1907. Available online.
- ↑ Swanton John R. The Indian Tribes of North America. Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethnology, Bulletin #145 Available online.
- This page was last modified on 4 September 2015, at 15:29.
- This page has been accessed 19,962 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News