IowaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
- This article is about the mid-western state. For other uses, see Iowa (disambiguation).
|News & Events|
|Did You Know?|
| * Iowa Pathways contains a wealth of information relating to its history and people through text, artifacts and video clips.
Welcome to Iowa,
the Hawkeye State
Extinct or Renamed Counties
Iowa's rivers provided transportation routes bringing European traders, trappers and explorers like the Frenchmen, Jacques Marquette and Louis Joliet in 1673. Prior to this exploration the land was occupied by the Fox, Ioway, Potawatomi, Oto, Missouri, Sauk, and Sioux Native Americans. The Louisiana Purchase gave the U.S. control of Iowa in 1803. The Black Hawk Purchase in 1833 brought the first official American village. Iowa was populated with settlers pioneering in from Virginia, Kentucky, Indiana, New York, Ohio, and Pennsylvania. When Iowa became a State in 1846, its capital was Iowa City. Iowa’s current borders were drawn in 1857 when Des Moines in Polk county became home of the new State Capital.
Featured ContentThe Archives Division of the State Historical Society of Iowa in Des Moines primarily collects manuscript records of the state, including government, land, and military records; while the State Historical Society of Iowa Library in Iowa City has manuscript records as well as numerous published sources, censuses, and newspapers. Read more...
Wiki articles describing online collections are found at:
- Iowa Births and Christenings (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Iowa Deaths and Burials (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Iowa Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Iowa State Census, 1885 (FamiltySearch Historical Records
- Iowa County Births (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Iowa County Marriage Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Find which county a town is in, what town a cemetery is in, even where a postoffice or building is by using the United States Geographical Survey's Geographical Names Information System.
- Clickable Map of Iowa Counties -- Iowa Gen Web, Click on County to get to Gen Web County Page
- David Rumsey Map Collection is a large online collection of rare, old, antique historical atlases, globes, maps, charts plus other cartographic treasures.
- The IAGenWeb Project has a wealth of information at Iowa's GenWeb Project, it is a part of the larger USGenWeb Project. The USGenWeb Project provides internet information on every county in every state in the United States.
- Iowa Pathways
- Looking 4 Kin Genealogy & Family History Network - Iowa
Obtain additional help
- Call or chat with an experienced researcher
- Join a Facebook Group
- Consult a Professional Genealogist
Things you can do
In order to make this wiki a better research tool, we need your help! Many tasks need to be done. You can help by:
To add your knowledge and help expand the wiki click here:
- This page was last modified on 1 May 2013, at 13:29.
- This page has been accessed 9,796 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More