Iowa County Births (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Iowa, County Births, 1880-1935 .
The collection consists of an index to the birth records created by the counties of Iowa. When completed it will contain records for all of the 99 counties in the state. The collection includes records from 1880 to 1935.
The index contains the following information:
- Name of child
- Birth date
- Parent's names
- Film number
- Digital folder number
- Image number
How to Use the Record
To begin your search it is helpful to know:
- The name of the child
- Other identifying information such as the birth date and place or the parents' names
Search the Collection
To search the collection fill in the requested information in the boxes on the initial search page. This search will return a list of possible matches. Compare the information about the individuals in the list to what you already know about your ancestors to determine if this is the correct family or person. You may need to look at the information on several individuals comparing the information about them to your ancestors to make this determination. Keep in mind:
- There may be more than one person in the records with the same name.
- You may not be sure of your own ancestor’s name.
- Your ancestor may have used different names, or variations of their name, throughout their life.
- If your ancestor used an alias or a nickname, be sure to check for those alternate names.
- Even though these indexes are very accurate they may still contain inaccuracies, such as altered spellings, misinterpretations, and optical character recognition errors if the information was scanned.
For tips about searching on-line collections see the on-line article [FamilySearch Tips and Tricks].
Using the Information
When you have located your ancestor’s record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. Save a copy of the image or transcribe the information. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details or lead to other records about your ancestors.
Remember this is only an index. As with any index, transcription errors may have occurred.
Unable to Find Your Ancestor?
- Look for variant spellings of the names. You should also look for alias names, nicknames and abbreviated names.
- Look for a different index. Local genealogical and historical societies often have indexes to local records.
- Search the indexes and records of nearby localities.
- Try alternative search methods such as only filling in the surname search box (or the given name search box) on the landing page leaving the other box empty and then click on search. This should return a list of everyone with that particular name. You could then browse the list for individuals that may be your ancestor.
|Don't overlook FHL Keyword Iowa, Vital Records items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see the wiki article Iowa Archives and Libraries. For additional information about this state see the wiki article Iowa.|
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to this Article
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. Guidelines are available to help you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide. If you would like to get more involved join the WikiProject FamilySearch Records.|
Citations for This Collection
When you copy information from a record, you should list where you found the information; that is, cite your sources. This will help people find the record again and evaluate the reliability of the source. It is also good to keep track of records where you did not find information, including the names of the people you looked for in the records. Citations are available for the collection as a whole and each record or image individually.
- "Iowa, County Births, 1880-1935." Index. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2013. Citing Clerk of the District Court.
Record Citation (or citation for the index entry):
|The citation for a record is available with each record in this collection, at the bottom of the record screen. You can search records in this collection by visiting the search page for Iowa, County Births, 1880-1935.|
- This page was last modified on 30 January 2015, at 02:24.
- This page has been accessed 7,143 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More