Iowa PeriodicalsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Family history periodicals contain much information. They often publish sources pertaining to their county or region. These sources may include genealogies, historical background, maps, information about local records and archives, queries, census records, transcripts of family Bibles, church records, court records, cemetery records, land records, obituaries, and wills. The Family History Library has copies of many periodicals, but some issues may be missing.
Periodicals and Magazines
The major genealogical periodicals and magazines for Iowa research are listed below. Many of them have indexes either published separately or included in each volume.
- The Annals of Iowa  This periodical contains much biographical and historical information and has cumulative indexes through 1991.
- The Cedar Tree 
- The Genie Bug  This includes lists of surnames being searched by society members.
- Hawkeye Heritage 
- Iowa Genealogical Society Newsletter 
- Iowa Queries  This query periodical merged with another and is now Ohio- Indiana-Iowa Queries and Reviews.
- The Palimpsest This periodical is now called Iowa Heritage Illustrated.
- The Wahkaw  This periodical includes Iowa, Nebraska, and South Dakota.
- The PERiodical Source Index (PERSI) partially indexes all the above periodicals (except Iowa Queries) and more. The compact disc and Internet editions are about twice the size of the microfiche edition available at most Family History Centers. PERSI is described in greater detail in United States Periodicals.
Family History Library Helps
Periodicals are listed in the Locality Search of the The FamilySearch Catalog under:
- IOWA - PERIODICALS
- IOWA - GENEALOGY - PERIODICALS
- IOWA- SOCIETIES- PERIODICALS
- IOWA, [COUNTY] - GENEALOGY- PERIODICALS
- IOWA, [COUNTY], [TOWN]- GENEALOGY- PERIODICALS
- IOWA - PERIODICALS
- ↑ 1893- Published by the State Historical Society of Iowa at Iowa City, Iowa (Family History Library book 977.3 B2i; some volumes and an index to volumes 1–8 are on six Family History Library films beginning with 967572 item 20)
- ↑ 1971- Published by the Northeast Iowa Genealogical Society, 503 South St., Waterloo, Iowa 50701. (Family History Library book 977.73 D25c)
- ↑ 1969- Published by the North Central Iowa Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 237, Mason City, Iowa 50401 (Family History Library book 977.7 D25g; film 1697449 items 1–6 [vols. 1–6])
- ↑ 1966– Published by the Iowa Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 7735, Des Moines, Iowa 50322-7735. (Family History Library book 977.7 D25h; vols. 1–3 on film 928164 items 2–4; vols. 4–5 on film 893705; vols. 6–10 and topical index [vols. 1–10] on film 928349 items 1–6) An index to volumes 1–28 has recently been published. (Family History Library book 977.7 D25h index)
- ↑ 1980– Published by the Iowa Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 7735, Des Moines, Iowa 50322. (Family History Library book 977.7 D25n)
- ↑ 1987- Published by Shirley Penna- Oakes, P.O. Box 397, Black Eagle, Wyoming 59414-0397. (Family History Library book 977.7 D2iq; fiche 6126472, vols. 1–5)
- ↑ 1920– Published by the State Historical Society of Iowa at Iowa City, Iowa (see the Iowa Archives and Libraries). (Family History Library book 977.7 B2p; films 1697369 items 1–9 [vol. 2] and 823597 item 11 [vol. 3]) There are cumulative indexes at the Family History Library for 1920–1929, 1930–1939, 1940–1976: (Family History Library book 977.7 B2p index)
- ↑ 1981– Published by the Woodbury County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 624, 3412 Old Lakesport Road, Sioux City, Iowa 51102. (Family History Library book 977.7 D25w)
- This page was last modified on 25 July 2014, at 18:07.
- This page has been accessed 3,121 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page