Iowa SocietiesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
There are many societies which may help family historians. Genealogical, historical, lineage, veterans, and ethnic societies are especially helpful because of the records and resources they collect, transcribe, and publish. Often their records contain birth, marriage, death, and biographical information. See the United States Societies page.
Genealogical and historical societies often maintain a genealogical file for families in the area and may sponsor publications, some of which are cited in the Genealogy page. Many counties have their own Society.
- American/Schleswig-Holstein Heritage Society
P.O. Box 506
Walcott, IA 52773
Internet: American/Schleswig-Holstein Heritage Society
- Decorah Genealogy Association
202 Winnebago (Lower Level)
Decorah, IA 52101
Internet: Decorah Genealogy Association
- Des Moines County Genealogical Society
P.O. Box 493
Burlington, IA 52601
Internet: Des Moines County Genealogical Society
- Dubuque County
Key City Genealogical Society
P.O. Box 13
Dubuque, IA 52004-0013
Internet: Dubuque County-Key City Genealogical Society
- Iowa City Genealogical Society
P.O. Box 822
Iowa City, IA 52244-0822
Internet: Iowa City Genealogical Society
- Iowa Genealogical Society
628 East Grand Avenue
Des Moines, IA 50309
Internet: Iowa Genealogical Society
- Ostfriesen Genealogical Society of America
1670 So Robert St, #333
West St Paul, MN 55118
Internet: Ostfriesen Genealogical Society of America
Other Ostfriesen Societies are listed on this site for Iowa and surrounding states. Sites in Iowa include the Ostfriesen Genealogical Society and the Ostfriesian Heritage Society
- Pocahontas County Genealogical Societybr>Laurens Public Library
273 N. Third St.
Laurens, IA 50554
Internet: Laurens Genealogical Society
- Northeast Iowa Genealogical Society
503 South St.
Waterloo, IA 50701
Interne: Northeast Iowa Genealogical Society
- Scott County Iowa Genealogical Society
P.O. Box 3132
Davenport, IA 52808-3132
Internet: Scott County Genealogical Society
- Woodbury County Genealogical Society
P.O. Box 624
3412 Old Lakesport Road
Sioux City, Iowa 51102
Internet: Woodbury County Genealogical Society
- Iowa State Historical Department
402 Iowa Ave.
Iowa City, IA 52240-1806
Fax: (319) 335-3924
Internet: Iowa City SHSI Location
- State Historical Society of Iowa
600 E. Locust
Des Moines, IA 50319
Internet: Iowa History Archives
State Historical Department
Lineage societies, such as the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR), Colonial Dames, General Society of Colonial Wars, the Sons of the American Revolution, and many others, require members to prove they are descended from certain people, such as colonists or soldiers. The applications for membership in these societies are preserved, and many are on microfilm at the Family History Library. See the Register of U. S. Lineage Societies (mentioned in the "Societies" for addresses, lists of microfilmed records, and publications.
One important society in Iowa is the Iowa Genealogical Society (see the "Archives and Libraries" page). The Iowa Genealogical Society has a number of chapters throughout the state. Many chapters actively extract and index original records, which the society publishes. For a list of the society chapters, see:
Mary Keysor Meyer’s directory lists ethnic genealogical groups and societies. 
Old Settlers’ Associations existed in many Iowa counties. Some of these records, with obituaries, are available on microfilm, such as: Old Settlers’ Association (Cedar County, Iowa). Annual Meeting Minutes and Obituaries of Settlers, 1917–1934.
See also the "Archives and Libraries" page for other organizations with family history sources.
Family History Library Helps
- Society records are listed in the Locality Search of the Family History Library Catalog under: IOWA - SOCIETIES
- See the "Author/Title Search" of the Family History Library Catalog for many sources published by the Iowa Genealogical Society. There are, for example, birth, marriage, death and cemetery records; censuses (state and federal); newspaper obituaries; probates; city directories; adoption records; county assessors’ books; indexes to scrapbooks; and church records.
- ↑ Meyer’s Directory of Genealogical Societies in the U.S.A. and Canada. (Cited fully in the "Societies" section.)
- ↑ Old Settlers’ Association (Cedar County, Iowa). Annual Meeting Minutes and Obituaries of Settlers, 1917–1934. Salt Lake City: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1976. (Family History Library film 987411 or 281275)
- This page was last modified on 25 May 2012, at 20:54.
- This page has been accessed 2,660 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki