Isles of Shoals, MaineEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Maine. The Maine-side islands are now part of the mainland town of Kittery in York County in Maine. The original town was first called Apledoore (now spelled Appledore), but the name was changed to Isles of Shoals by 1665. In 1696 the Town of Kittery annexed those islands on the Maine side of the border. About 1700 the entire settlement on Appledore Island moved for a time to nearby Star Island (New Hampshire) to avoid the heavier taxes imposed by Maine-Massachusetts.
Appledore / Isles of Shoals Town Records. Location unknown. For other kinds of records see Shoals Resources.
New Hampshire. The Isles of Shoals islands on the New Hampshire side of the border are are now part of the mainland town of Rye in Rockingham County. The town of Gosport was created in 1715 on what is now called Star Island. In 1876 the New Hamphshire-side islands, including the former Gosport, were annexed to Rye.
Gosport Town Records. The original Gosport town records including births 1700-1860, marriages 1810-1830 and deaths 1730-1860 are preserved at the State Capitol Building in Concord, New Hampshire. A microfilm copy is available from the Family History Library on FHL Film 015150 Item 2.
- ↑ Maine Historical Records Survey Project, Division of Professional and Service Projects, Work Projects Administration, Counties, Cities, Towns, and Plantations of Maine: a Handbook of Incorporations, Dissolutions, and Boundary Changes (Portland, Maine: The Survey, 1940), 129 and 156 (digital pp. 138 and 165). A digital version is available via a link in the FamilySearch Catalog.
- ↑ Appledore Island in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia (accessed 15 June 2013).
- ↑ Shoals Resources in Isles of Shoals Historical and Research Association (accessed 24 June 2013).
- This page was last modified on 18 July 2014, at 17:16.
- This page has been accessed 2,289 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki