Issaquena County, Mississippi GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Issaquena County Mississippi ancestry, family history, and genealogy research page birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Issaquena County, Mississippi|
Location in the state of Mississippi
Location of Mississippi in the U.S.
|Founded||23 January, 1844|
|Address|| Issaquena County Courthouse|
PO Box 27
Mayersville, MS 39113
Phone: 662.873.2761<brIssaquena County Courthouse]
For animated maps illustrating Mississippi county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Mississippi County Boundary Maps" (1785-1918) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Mississippi counties see: Mississippi Counties with Burned Courthouses
- 1805 - 1890 Mississippi, Compiled Census and Census Substitutes Index, 1805-1890 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1660 - 1820 U.S. Census Reconstructed Records, 1660-1820 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1792 - 1866 Mississippi, State and Territorial Census Collection, 1792-1866 at Ancestry.com — index $
For tips on accessing Issaquena County, Mississippi Genealogy census records online, see: Mississippi Census.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Mississippi denominations, view the Mississippi Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Mississippi Land and Property for additional information about early Mississippi land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Issaquena County, Mississippi Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Mississippi Local Histories.
- 1861 - 1865 Mississippi, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index/images
- 1861 - 1865 Mississippi, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index/images
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Issaquena County, Mississippi Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records are held by the Issaquena County, Mississippi Genealogy Clerk of Court and are housed at the Issaquena County, Mississippi Genealogy Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Mississippi Probate Records, 1781-1930. See the wiki page Mississippi Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Mississippi tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Mississippi Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. Mississippi law did not require keeping birth or death records until 1912. Births and deaths are kept by the Mississippi Bureau of Vital Statistics. Marriage records are kept by the county. See also How to order Mississippi Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Mississippi Vital Records for more information on getting Mississippi records.
- 1800 - 1911 Mississippi, Marriages, 1800-1911 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1776 - 1935 Mississippi Marriages, 1776-1935 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1826 - 1900 Mississippi Marriages, 1826-1900 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1826 - 50 Mississippi Marriages, 1826-50 at Ancestry.com — index $
- to 1825 Mississippi Marriages to 1825 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1866-1879 - Issaquena County Marriage Books 1 and 2 Index 1866-1879. Batch M516931 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875-1882 - Issaquena County Marriage Books 3 and 4 Index 1875-1882. Batch M516932 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1882-1889 - Issaquena County Marriage Books 5 and 6 Index 1882-1889. Batches M516933 and M516934 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1889-1892 - Issaquena County Marriage Books 7 and 8 Index 1889-1892. Batch M516935 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1892-1899 - Issaquena County Marriage Books 9 and 10 Index 1892-1899. Batches M516936 and M748562 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1899-1907 - Issaquena County Marriage Books 11 and 12 Index 1899-1907. Batch M748567 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1907-1915 - Issaquena County Marriage Books 13 and 14 Index 1907-1915. Batch M748564 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1915-1920 - Issaquena County Marriage Book 15 Index 1915-1920. Batch M748500 at FamilySearch - free.
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Centers for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Issaquena County, MS History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Mississippi Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Mississippi Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- USGenWeb Issaquena County, Mississippi project. Has maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- The Issaquena Genealogy and History Project
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Issaquena County, Mississippi page 379, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 3.7 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/b/be/Igimississippij.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 11 July 2015, at 22:06.
- This page has been accessed 8,225 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News