Itteringham with Mannington, Norfolk GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Itteringham with Mannington, Norfolk|
|Poor Law Union||Aylsham|
|Parish registers: 1558|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1600|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
ITTERINGHAM (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Aylsham, hundred of South Erpingham, E. division of Norfolk, 4¼ miles (N. W.) from Aylsham. The living is a discharged rectory in medieties, with that of Mannington annexed. 
Itteringham St Mary with Mannington is an Ancient parish in the Diocese of Norwich. St. Mary's church was probably originally Saxon before being rebuilt and enlarged through the gift of Aymer de Valence in the 1200s. The tower was built later in the 14th century and the building was remodelled in the 19th Century. Before the reformation it was known as St. Agnes although we are (as yet) unaware as to why the name was changed. A chapel was also originally built on the outer wall of the chancel in the 15th century but is now ruined. The chancel has rich Jacobean panelling and the pulpit is also Jacobean, being carved with an angel of a strangely classical type. The door to the nave is still on its original hinges.
The parishes of Itteringham and Mannington were consolidated into one joint benefice and one rectory on 17th March 1780 after the joint petition of Lord Walpole and the Reverend Mordaunt Leathes who both held livings in the gift of Lord Walpole. It was judged that the livings together make a moderate provision for a minister.
Mannington Church was an estate church attached to Mannington Hall. It was of Saxon origin and like St. Mary's of Itteringham, it was enlarged through the gift of Aymer de Valence in the 1200s. Sir John Goote was listed as priest in 1597. By 1800 the church was described as "disused." However it has never been deconsecrated and the 4th Earl of Orford chose to be buried in its ruins where he had created a folly garden full of old stonework and mock memorials. As recently as 1982 a baptism took place within its walls and services are still regularly held in the summer and at Christmas.
Itteringham is a village and civil parish in the English county of Norfolk, some 4+1⁄2 miles (7.2 km) northwest of the market town of Aylsham For the purposes of local government, it falls within the district of North Norfolk.
Itteringham lies in the valley of the River Bure that eventually becomes a major part of the Norfolk Broads. The village has a pub, the Walpole Arms and a village shop. The converted watermill is a historical feature within the village.
The poet George Barker lived in the village and is buried in the churchyard.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438854.
Itteringham with Mannington, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FS ATs = England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812 (FamilySearch) - free|
|FS BTs = England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941 (FamilySearch) - free|
|TIN = Tinstaafl Transcripts - free|
|Itteringham with Mannington, Norfolk Genealogy Online Parish Records|
This parish does not appear at FamilySearch Historical Records as no microfilm for the parish is held at the Family History Library.
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 439/ 1-3
A search of the FamilySearch Catalogue identifies the following Archdeacon's transcripts:
| Baptisms 1600-1610, 1623-1630, 1665-1812 Marriages 1600-1610, 1623-1630, 1665-1811 Burials 1600-1610, 1623-1629, 1665-1812
|| FHL BRITISH Film |
1526780 Item 8
Poor Law Unions
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.• England Jurisdictions 1851
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 623-628. Date accessed: 15 April 2013.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 26 February 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 22 March 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 22 March 2014.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Baptism Project 1813 to 1880,' Tinstaafl Transcripts, accessed 10 April 2014.
- This page was last modified on 27 May 2015, at 15:02.
- This page has been accessed 2,944 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News