Jackson County, ArkansasEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Jackson County Arkansas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Jackson County, Arkansas|
Location in the state of Arkansas
Location of Arkansas in the U.S.
|Founded||November 5, 1829|
|Address|| Jackson County Courthouse|
208 Main Street
Newport, AR 7212
Jackson County Courthouse
208 Main Street
Newport, AR 7212
County Clerk has marriage records from 1843 and probate records from 1845; Clerk Circuit Court has divorce and court records from 1845 and land records.
See an interactive map of Jackson County boundary changes at N2Genealogy.
Cemetery records often reveal birth, marriage, death, relationship, military, and religious information.
|Online Grave Transcripts||Published Grave Transcripts||County Cemetery Directories|
|Family History Library|
|USGenWeb Archives|| Epodunk
|See Arkansas Cemeteries for more information.|
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Arkansas denominations, view the Arkansas Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Arkansas Land and Property for additional information about early Arkansas land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Jackson County, Arkansas. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see Arkansas Local Histories.
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital version at Google Books. 1967 reprint: FHL Collection 973 X2pc 1840. [See Arkansas, Jackson County on page 191.]
- Men from this county served the the 1st Regiment, Arkansas Confederate Mounted Rifles, 7th Regiment, Arkansas Infantry, 3rd Regiment, Arkansas Cavalry (Union), The 31st Regiment, Arkansas Infantry (Confederate) Companies A and B, and the 45th Regiment, Arkansas Cavalry
Finding More Arkansas Newspapers
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Jackson County, Arkansas newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records of Arkansas have been kept by the probate or county courts. You can obtain copies of the original records by contacting the clerk's office in the county courthouse.
The Family History Library has microfilm copies of many Arkansas probate records. See Arkansas Probate Records for more information about Probate records in Arkansas, including statewide indexes.
Arkansas tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years for some counties. For more information see Arkansas Taxation.
Online Tax Records
Tax Records on Microfilm
Finding More Tax Records
Additional tax records can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Jackson County, Arkansas Tax Records in online catalogs like:
- WorldCat (For instructions see WorldCat Online Catalog).
- Family History Library Catalog (For instructions see FHL Catalog Place-name Search)
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Arkansas Vital Records State Department of Health or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also Arkansas Vital Records Online and Arkansas Statewide Indexes and Collections at the Family History Library.
- 1846-1923 - Jackson County Marriage Index 1846-1923 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
- 1923-1951 - Jackson County Marriage Books K-Q Index 1923-1951 in Arkansas, County Marriages, 1837-1957 at FamilySearch - free.
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Jackson County, Arkansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), p. 68.
- ↑ "List of counties in Arkansas," Wikipedia.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Desmond Walls Allen, First Arkansas Confederate Mounted Rifles, (Conway, Arkansas: Arkansas Research, c1988), p. 2. FHL book 976.7 M2a
- ↑ Desmond Walls Allen, The Seventh Arkansas Confederate Infantry, (Conway, Arkansas: Arkansas Research, c1988) FHL book 976.7 M22adw
- ↑ Desmond Walls Allen, Third Arkansas Union Cavalry, (Conway, Arkansas: Arkansas Research, c1987), p. 33-92. FHL book 976.7 M28dc
- ↑ Ronald R. Bass, History of the Thirty-first Arkansas Confederate Infantry, (Conway, Arkansas: Arkansas Research, c1996), p. 12 FHL book 976.7 M2ba
- ↑ Desmond Walls Allen, Forty-fifth Arkansas Confederate Calvary, (Conway, Arkansas: Arkansas Research, c1988), p. 1. FHL book 976.7 M2af
- ↑ Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/0/0d/Igiarkansasem.pdf.
- ↑ FamilySearch Wiki contributors, "Arkansas County Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)," in FamilySearch Wiki, accessed 18 April 2013.
|This Arkansas-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- This page was last modified on 25 November 2013, at 20:15.
- This page has been accessed 3,903 times.