Jefferson County, ArkansasEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Jefferson County Arkansas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Jefferson County, Arkansas|
Location in the state of Arkansas
Location of Arkansas in the U.S.
|Founded||November 2, 1829|
|County Seat||Pine Bluff|
|Address|| Jefferson County Courthouse|
101 W Barraque Street
Pine Bluff, AR 71601
Jefferson County Courthouse
101 W Barraque Street
Pine Bluff, AR 71601
County Clerk has marriage records from 1830 and probate records from 1845; Clerk Circuit Court has divorce, court and land records.
County seat: Pine Bluff 
See an interactive map of Jefferson County boundary changes at N2Genealogy.
- 1865-1871 - Jefferson County Colored Marriage Books I-II Index 1865-1871 in Arkansas, County Marriages, 1837-1957 at FamilySearch - free.
- Cherry Hill Cemetery, Richland
- Macedonia Cemetery, Pine Bluff
- New Hope Cemetery, Grady
- White's Cemetery, Pine Bluff
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Arkansas denominations, view the Arkansas Church Records wiki page.
- Biographies from The History of Jefferson County, Arkansas (1889) published by Goodspeed Publishing Company are available free on the My Genealogy Hound website.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Arkansas Land and Property for additional information about early Arkansas land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Jefferson County, Arkansas. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see Arkansas Local Histories.
Civil War Battle
The following Civil War battle was fought in Jefferson County.
- Map showing Civil War battles in Arkansas.
Finding More Arkansas Newspapers
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Jefferson County, Arkansas newspapers in online catalogs like:
Obituary Indexes from the following from 1866 to current time:
- Pine Bluff Commercial
- Pine Bluff Graphic
- Pin Bluff News
- Pine Bluff Eagle
- White Hall Journal
- Pine Bluff Dispatch
- The Negro Spokesman
- The Jefferson Republican
- Weekly Echo
Probate records of Arkansas have been kept by the probate or county courts. You can obtain copies of the original records by contacting the clerk's office in the county courthouse.
The Family History Library has microfilm copies of many Arkansas probate records. See Arkansas Probate Records for more information about Probate records in Arkansas, including statewide indexes.
Arkansas tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years for some counties. For more information see Arkansas Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Arkansas Vital Records State Department of Health or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also Arkansas Vital Records Online and Arkansas Statewide Indexes and Collections at the Family History Library.
- 1830-1950 - Jefferson County Marriage Books A-Z, I-VIII, AA-ZZ Index 1830-1950 in Arkansas, County Marriages, 1837-1957 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1830-1920 - Jefferson County Marriage Books 1-8, A-Z, AA Index 1830-1920 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Pine Bluff Arkansas Family History Center 2501 Ridgeway Rd, Pine Bluff AR 71603 United States
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Jefferson County, Arkansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), p. 68.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 FamilySearch Wiki contributors, "Arkansas County Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)," in FamilySearch Wiki, accessed 18 April 2013.
- ↑ Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 15 August, 2012)
- ↑ Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/0/0d/Igiarkansasem.pdf.
|This Arkansas-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- This page was last modified on 27 November 2013, at 19:44.
- This page has been accessed 3,725 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More