Jefferson County, Georgia GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Jefferson County, Georgia ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Jefferson County, Georgia|
Location in the state of Georgia
|Founded||February 20, 1796|
|Address|| Jefferson County Courthouse|
202 E Broad Street
PO Box 658
Louisville, GA 30434-1622
Jefferson County Website
Jefferson County Courthouse
202 E Broad Street
PO Box 658
Louisville, GA 30434-1622
Clerk of Courts has land and court records from 1865, divorce records from 1900s and marriage records; Probate Court has probate records; County Health Department has birth and death records.
Clerk of Superior Court
P.O. Box 151
202 E. Broad St.
Louisville, GA 30434
Telephone: (478) 625-7922
Fax: (478) 625-4037
Probate Court of Jefferson County
P.O. Box 505
Louisville, GA 30434
For animated maps illustrating Georgia county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Georgia County Boundary Maps" (1758-1932) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
The earliest surviving deed is dated 20 February 1865.
For suggestions about research in places that suffered historic record losses, see:
- 1866-1890 - Jefferson County Colored Marriage Book A Index 1866-1890. Batch M713143 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1889-1895 - Jefferson County Colored Marriage Book B (partial) Index 1889-1895. Batch M713144 at FamilySearch - free.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Georgia denominations, see the Georgia Church Records wiki page.
- 1797 Grand Jurors Georgia Pioneers $
- 1799 Petit Jurors Georgia Pioneers $
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Georgia Land and Property for additional information about early Georgia land grants from the government. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions (generally buying and selling deeds) were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
- 1797-1799 - Abstracts of Deeds 1797-1799 Georgia Pioneers $
Local histories are available for Jefferson County, Georgia Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Georgia Local Histories.
- Thomas, Z. V. History of Jefferson County. Macon, Ga.: Press of the J.W. Burke Co., 1927. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
Regiments. Service men in Jefferson County, Georgia Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Jefferson County, Georgia Genealogy:
- - 20th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company C
- - 38th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company G
- - 43rd Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate) , Company H
- - 48th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company E
- - 63rd Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company H
- - Georgia USGenWeb Archives Project (other war's information is also given)
- Thomas, Z. V. 1927. History of Jefferson County. Macon, Ga: Press of the J.W. Burke Co. (page 101-107) 975.8663 H2t
- Durden, Marion Little. 1983. A history of Saint George Parish, colony of Georgia, Jefferson County, state of Georgia. Swainsboro, Ga. (P.O. Box 3, Swainsboro 30401): Magnolia Press. (page 7, 69, 247) 975.8663 H2d
- Georgia. Court of Ordinary (Jefferson County). 1958. List of Confederate veterans, 1893, 1864, 1861; miscellaneous pension records, 1890-1952. Salt Lake City, Utah: Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah. film 180903 item 4
Newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Jefferson County, Georgia Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- FamilySearch Catalog. Do a Place search for Jefferson County, Georgia Genealogy to find these and other records in the FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search).
Online Probate Records
- 1742–1992 Georgia Wills and Probate Records 1742-1992 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1742–1990 Georgia Probate Records 1742-1990 at FamilySearch.org images
Colonial courts kept some early probate records. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (not all years).
- 1777-1893 - Wills 1777-1893 (abstracts) Georgia Pioneers $
- Index to Will Book A Georgia Pioneers $
- 1864-1884 - Index to Will Book 3, 1864-1884 Georgia Pioneers $
- 1815-1827 - Index to Annual Returns 1815-1827 Georgia Pioneers $
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Georgia State Department of Health , the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online..
- 1785-1950 Georgia County Marriages 1785-1950 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1808-1967 Georgia Marriages 1808-1967 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1828-1978 Georgia Marriage Records from Select Counties 1828-1978 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1699-1944 Georgia Marriages 1699-1944 at Ancestry.com— index $
- 1803-1880 - Jefferson County Marriage Book A Index 1803-1880. Batch M713141 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1868-1895 - Jefferson County Marriage Book B Index 1868-1895. Batch M713142 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1885-1886 - Jefferson County Marriages 1885-1886 (from newspapers) Georgia Pioneers $
- Marriage Contracts found in deeds, documents Georgia Pioneers $
- 1933-1998 Georgia Death Index 1933-1998 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1914-1927 Georgia Deaths 1914-1927 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1928-1939 Georgia Deaths 1928-1939 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Jefferson County, GA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Georgia Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Georgia Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- USGenWeb Jefferson County, Georgia project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Jefferson County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Georgia Pioneers $
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Jefferson County, Georgia. Page 157 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Paul K. Graham, Georgia Courthouse Disasters (Decatur, Georgia: Genealogy Co., 2013), 38. At various libraries (WorldCat).
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/57/Igigeorgiael.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 7 February 2016, at 01:27.
- This page has been accessed 15,104 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News