Jefferson County, MississippiEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Jefferson County Mississippi genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Jefferson County, Mississippi|
Location in the state of Mississippi
Location of Mississippi in the U.S.
|Founded||2 April, 1799|
|Address|| Jefferson County, Courthouse|
307 Main St; PO Box 145;
Fayette, MS 39069
Jefferson County Courthouse]
Jefferson County, Courthouse
307 Main St; PO Box 145;
Fayette, MS 39069
Clerk Chancery Court has marriage records from 1798, court records from 1860, probate and land records from 1798. 
HistoryJefferson County was named Pickering until 1802.
1799--Jefferson County was created 2 April 1799 from the Natchez District.
County seat: Fayette 
For animated maps illustrating Mississippi county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Mississippi County Boundary Maps" (1785-1918) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
1904--Some records were lost. For a list of record loss in Mississippi counties see: Mississippi Counties with Burned Courthouses
For tips on accessing Jefferson County, Mississippi census records online, see: Mississippi Census.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Mississippi denominations, view the Mississippi Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Mississippi Land and Property for additional information about early Mississippi land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Jefferson County, Mississippi. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Mississippi Local Histories.
- Men from Jefferson County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Jefferson County.
- - 1st Regiment, Mississippi Light Artillery
- Company K - Abbay’s Battery
- - 4th Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company H - Whitney’s Company
- - 12th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry
- Company A - Charlie Clark Rifles [also listed as Co. H]
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Jefferson County, Mississippi newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records are held by the Jefferson County, Mississippi Clerk of Court and are housed at the Jefferson County, Mississippi Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Mississippi Probate Records, 1781-1930. See the wiki page Mississippi Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Mississippi tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Mississippi Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. Mississippi law did not require keeping birth or death records until 1912. Births and deaths are kept by the Mississippi Bureau of Vital Statistics. Marriage records are kept by the county. See also How to order Mississippi Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Mississippi Vital Records for more information on getting Mississippi records.
- 1805-1857 - Jefferson County Marriage Books A and B Index 1805-1857. Batch M516961 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1858-1869 - Jefferson County Marriage Books C and D Index 1858-1869. Batch M516962 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1869-1875 - Jefferson County Marriage Book E Index 1869-1875. Batch M516965 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1877-1905 - Jefferson County Marriage Books F thru L Index 1877-1905. Batches M516963, M516966, M749018, M516964, M748530 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1894-1900 - Jefferson County Marriage Books M thru O Index 1894-1900. Batches M516967 and M749023 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1900-1906 - Jefferson County Marriage Books P thru R Index 1900-1906. Batch M748531 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1904-1923 - Jefferson County Marriage Books M and V Index 1904-1923. Batch M748563 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1906-1911 - Jefferson County Marriage Books S and T Index 1906-1911. Batch M748592 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1912-1918 - Jefferson County Marriage Books U and W Index 1912-1918. Batch M748593 at FamilySearch - free.
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Jefferson County, MS History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Mississippi Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Mississippi Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Jefferson County, Mississippi page 380, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 3.7 3.8 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/b/be/Igimississippij.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 19 July 2014, at 04:21.
- This page has been accessed 9,939 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki