Jefferson County, MissouriEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Jefferson County, Missouri ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Jefferson County, Missouri|
Location in the state of Missouri
Location of Missouri in the U.S.
|Founded||December 8, 1818|
|Address|| Jefferson County Courthouse|
300 2nd Street
PO Box 100
Hillsboro, MO 63050-0100
Jefferson County Website
|Named for: Thomas Jefferson|
Recorder Deeds has marriage and land records;
Probate Court has probate records; Clerk Circuit
Court has court records
Jefferson County, Missouri was organized 8 December 1818. This became effective 1 January 1819. The county was named after Thomas Jefferson.
- History of Franklin, Jefferson, Washington, Crawford & Gasconade Counties, Missouri : from the earliest time to the present : t at Ancestry.com ($)
For animated maps illustrating Missouri county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Missouri County Boundary Maps" (1804-1889) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Missouri counties see: Missouri Counties with Burned Courthouses
- The State Historical Society of Missouri has information on historical Missouri place names for all 114 Missouri Counties.
- Moser's Directory of Towns, Villages and Hamlets Past and Present of Missouri provides similar information on places in Jefferson County.
- Family Biographies from The History of Jefferson County, Missouri (1888) published by Goodspeed are available free on the My Genealogy Hound website.
A number of residents of Valle Township, Jefferson County, Missouri were buried across Big River in Masonic Cemetery in Washington County, near Blackwell.
- Cemeteries in Jefferson County, Missouri (transcriptions, Jefferson County Historical Society)
- Cemeteries of Jefferson County (articles, Jefferson County Historical Society)
- Jefferson County (Tombstone Transcription Project)
- Jefferson County Cemetery Records (Interment. net)
- Jefferson County, Missouri Cemetery Inscription Sources (Genealogy in St. Louis)
- 1830 census, images (RootsWeb)
- 1830 census index, surnames A-E (RootsWeb)
- 1830 census index, surnames F-K (RootsWeb)
- 1830 census index, surnames L-R (RootsWeb)
- 1830 census index, surnames S-Z (RootsWeb)
- 1840 census, images (RootsWeb)
- 1850 census, images (RootsWeb)
- 1850 census agricultural schedule (Jefferson County Genealogical Society)
- 1860 census agricultural schedule (Jefferson County Genealogical Society)
- 1870 census agricultural schedule (Jefferson County Genealogical Society)
- Jefferson County, Missouri Links to Online Census Records (Census Online)
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Missouri denominations, view the Missouri Church Records wiki page.
- Church Records (Jefferson County Historical Society)
- Court Records (Jefferson County Historical Society)
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Missouri Land and Property for information about records of land transfers from the government to private ownership. After that transfer, transactions were usually recorded and are currently housed at the county courthouse.
Local histories are available for Jefferson County, Missouri. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the Wiki page section Missouri Local Histories.
- Articles: Items of History (Jefferson County Historical Society)
- Boyer, Mary Joan, Jefferson County, Missouri in Story and Pictures. Festus, Missouri: Tri-City Independent, 1956.
- Douglass, Robert Sidney, History of Southeast Missouri. New York: Lewis Publishing Compasny, 1912.
- Family Histories (Jefferson County Historical Society)
- Biographies from The History of Jefferson County, Missouri (1888) published by Goodspeed are available free on the My Genealogy Hound website.
- History of Franklin, Jefferson, Washington, Crawford, and Gasconade Counties, Missouri. Chicago: The Goodspeed Publishing Company, 1888. Reprint, Greenville, South Carolina: Southern Historical Press, 2001. (Jefferson County portion, GenWeb)
- Jefferson County, Missouri History Books (indexes) (Jefferson County Historical Society)
- Rutledge, Zoe Booth, Our Jefferson County Heritage (index only; Jefferson County Historical Society)
- Whipple, Etta, History of Jefferson Co. Baptists 1798-1949 (index only; Jefferson County Historical Society)
Maps and Gazetteers
- Maps of Missouri (1804-1889)
- Family Maps of Jefferson County, Missouri (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- The University of Missouri Digital Library has digital copies of Missouri county plat books (ca. 1930) for all Missouri counties including Jefferson County. The city of St. Louis is not included in this collection.
- 1876 map (Jefferson County Genealogical Society)
- 1876 township map (Jefferson County Genealogical Society)
- Map of 1904 Jefferson County with numerous small settlements (My Genealogy Hound)
- Historical townships of Jefferson County (RootsWeb)
- Modern day townships of Jefferson County (Histopolis)
- Jefferson County, Missouri Township and Range Survey Maps (RootsWeb)
- Military Records (Jefferson County Historical Society)
- Union Provost Marshal's File of Papers Relating to Two or More Civilians (Jefferson County Genealogical Society)
- Union Provost Marshal's File of Persons Exempt from Serving in the Civil War (Jefferson County Genealogical Society)
- World War II Honor List, Dead and Missing Personnel, Jefferson County (National Archives)
- Fold3.com ($) has Civil War and other military records available online. Some libraries including Jefferson County Library and the St. Louis County Library provide free access to this database.
- - 31st Regiment, Missouri Infantry (Union), Company A
- - 35th Regiment, Missouri Infantry (Union), Company K
- - 6th Regiment, Missouri Infantry (Union), Company B
- Deceased Physicians (Jefferson County Historical Society)
- Duffner's Dairy and the People's Dairy (De Soto Historical Society)
- Historical Postcards and Photos (Jefferson County Historical Society)
- Old Settlers' Association of Jefferson County, Missouri, Records, 1864-1951 (Missouri Historical Society, St. Louis)
- Passports - Early 1900s (Jefferson County Historical Society)
- Railroad Records (Jefferson County Historical Society)
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Jefferson County, Missouri newspapers in online catalogs like:
Historic newspapers from 1869 to 1952 are housed at the Jefferson County History Center at Jefferson College. The Center is located in the Jefferson College Library and is open by appointment.
- De Soto Weekly Facts, 1895-1899 transcriptions
- Jefferson County Newspaper Indexes Now Online (article in Eastman's Online Genealogy Newsletter)
- Jefferson County Obituaries (Newspaper Obituaries)
- Jefferson Democrat, 1870-1888 transcriptions
- Jefferson Leader, 1866-1868 transcriptions (Charlotte's Corner)
- Jefferson Watchman, 1883-1884 transcriptions (Charlotte's Corner)
- JOIN-N Jefferson County Obituaries (Jefferson County Online)
- Newspaper Transcriptions (Jefferson County Historical Society)
In Missouri, probate records have usually been recorded by the clerks of the probate courts, but in some counties the common pleas or circuit courts handled this function. They are frequently indexed.
The Jefferson County History Center, located in the Jefferson College Library and open by appointment, contains probate files dating from the 1820s.
- Probate File Index (Jefferson County History Center)
- Wills & Probate Records (Jefferson County Historical Society)
- Schools (Jefferson County Historical Society)
Real estate and personal property tax records from the 19th through the mid-20th centuries are located at the Jefferson County History Center in the Jefferson College Library. The Center is open by appointment.
- 1862 Real Estate and Personal Property Tax (Jefferson County Genealogical Society)
- 1894-1901 Back Taxes for Real Estate; Personal Property (Jefferson County Genealogical Society)
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths. For additional guidance on researching and using vital records, see United States Vital Records or How to order Missouri Vital Records.
St. Louis and Kansas City recorded births and deaths starting as early as 1850 for deaths and 1870 for births. The Missouri Department of Health began keeping birth and death records in 1909. County records vary by year and the county. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Missouri Vital Records State Department of Health, the County Clerk's office or order electronically online.
- Vital Record Resources and Transcriptions (Jefferson County, Missouri GenWeb)
- 1826-1878 - Jefferson County Marriage Index 1826-1878. Batch M515271 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1849-1885 - Jefferson County Marriage Index 1849-1885. Batch M515272 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1871-1885 - Jefferson County Marriage Index 1871-1885. Batch M515273 at FamilySearch - free.
- Marriage Records (Jefferson County Historical Society)
- Brian Oster Missouri Marriage Records Site (local area marriage records)
- 1883-1892 - Jefferson County Death Index 1883-1892. Batch B515274 at FamilySearch - free.
- Funeral Home Records (Jefferson County Historical Society)
- Missouri State Archives provides on-line access to Missouri Death Certificates more than 50 yrs old starting in 1910.
Genealogy Societies, Archives and Libraries
Many of the older county records have been moved from the Jefferson County Courthouse to the Jefferson County History Center at Jefferson College. Old newspapers which were once housed at Roop Printing in De Soto have also been moved to the Jefferson County History Center. The De Soto Public Library has a large collection of vintage photographs of De Soto landmarks and businesses.
- List of Missouri Archives, Libraries, Publications, Historical & Genealogical Societies
- Arnold Historical Society
- The De Soto Historical Society
- De Soto Public Library
- Herculaneum Historical Society
- Historic Tanglefoot Association
- Jefferson County History Center
- Jefferson County Library
- Jefferson County, Missouri Historical Society
- Kimmswick Historical Society Museum
- Museum (De Soto Historical Society)
Family History Centers
|Centers provide: • Personal one-on-one assistance • Access to genealogical records through the Internet or microfilm loan program • Free how-to classes (varies by location). See Family History Centers for more information.|
| Check back often with these websites. Internet offerings are growing at record rates.
Local societies and libraries may know of other websites.
|Missouri Digital Heritage||Free||digital images of many types of records from institutions across the State|
|MOGenWeb||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or complete transcriptions|
|USGenWeb Archives||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions|
|RootsWeb resources||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions|
|Linkpendium||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|CyndisList||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|StateofUS||Free||family history resources and government records|
Books, microfilm, or manuscripts of genealogical records
|FamilySearch catalog||Select topics. To select towns, add a comma to the search box.|
|WorldCat||To find nearby libraries that have specific items, see WorldCat Online Catalog.|
|Allen County Public Library||located in Indiana They are heavily involved in digitizing.|
|Missouri State Archives Library||catalog; from this page you must search "Jefferson County"|
|Google+||Missouri Genealogy Network Community|
|list of groups from "Missouri Genealogy" search|
|genealogy.com||Jefferson County, MO Genealogy Forum|
|ancestry.com||Jefferson County Message Board|
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Jefferson County, Missouri. Page 401 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/d/d8/Igimissourij.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 3 December 2014, at 19:12.
- This page has been accessed 27,903 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page