Jessamine County, KentuckyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Jessamine County Kentucky genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Jessamine County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||December 19, 1798|
Jessamine County Kentucky Courthouse
Jessamine County Kentucky History
For animated maps illustrating Kentucky county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Kentucky County Boundary Maps" (1776-1939) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Kentucky counties see: Kentucky Counties with Burned Courthouses
Jessamine County Kentucky Places/Localities
|Camp Nelson||High Bridge||Nicholasville||Sulphur Well Park (hist.)|
|Chattersville (hist.)||Jessamine||Oak Hill (hist.)||Sweet Home (hist.)|
|Crisman Mill (hist.)||Keene||Oakdale (hist.)||Union Mills|
|Dixon Town||Lexington Park (hist.)||Pekin (hist.)||Vineyard|
|Edgewood (hist.)||Little Hickman||Pink||Watts Store|
|Hanly||Mount Lebanon||Red Oak (hist.)||Wilmore Park (hist.)|
Jessamine County Kentucky Genealogy Resources
African American Research
The following have information concerning African American research. Both should be used:
- the KY African American Griots Project ~ The Kentucky African American Griots Project
- Sandi Gorin's Tips ~ Hangings in Kentucky 1792 - 1900
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Kentucky Minorities has information specific to Kentucky African Americans.
- Inventory of the county archives of Kentucky: Jessamine County at Ancestry.com (Free/$)
- KY Biographies ~ Jeff Murphy's Kentucky Biographies Project
Kentucky cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Jessamine Co. KY USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- The KY Historical Society’s Cemetery Database
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Cemetery Junction ~ Links to cemetery transcriptions
- Naming the Forgotten ~ Naming the Forgotten - The Eastern State Hospital Project
- Kentucky Cemeteries lists the national cemeteries in Kentucky with links to their web sites. The first link under Online Kentucky Cemeteries goes to the Kentucky section of Interment.net
- Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness Local volunteers may take photographs of headstones found in county cemeteries.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Jessamine County and links to the information for the individuals buried there,
- The FamilySearch Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Jessamine County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Jessamine County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
For additional information about Jessamine County cemeteries, visit Jessamine County, Kentucky Cemeteries.
For tips on accessing Jessamine County, Kentucky census records online, see: Kentucky Census.
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Kentucky Census Transcriptions 1850 - 1930
- The USGenWeb Census Images ~ The USGenWeb Census Images Project
- Kentucky Census Transcriptions ~ The USGenWeb Census Project
- Census Online ~ Census Online
- Census of 1810, Jessamine County, Kentucky at Ancestry.com (Free/$)
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Kentucky denominations, view the Kentucky Church Records wiki page.
- Kentucky Christian Church Directory ~ ChurchAngel
- Catholic Parishes in the Diocese of Lexington
- Catholic Parishes in the Archdiocese of Louisville
- Abstracts of Early KY Court Cases Abstracts of Early Supreme Court Cases ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky Court of Justice Research & Reference
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Akers] Phillips, June Vore. Akers, Sumner, and Related Families. Evansville, Ind.: Unigraphic, Inc., 1978. FHL Film 1481074 Item 1
- [Alexander] Curtis, Oscar F. Alexander--Brewster--Irwin--Dunn. Typescript. Microfilmed 1989. FHL Film 1638364 Item 1
- [Brawner] Kurtz, Thelma E. Brawner Genealogy, ca. 1760-1968. Kansas City, Mo.: T.E. Kurtz, 196-?. FHL Book 929.273 B739k
- [Brewster] Curtis, Oscar F. Alexander--Brewster--Irwin--Dunn. Typescript. Microfilmed 1989. FHL Film 1638364 Item 1
- [Craven] Craven, Patricia. The Craven Clan of Southwestern Pennsylvania and Various Kentucky Counties Nelson, Washington, Marion, Boone, Fayette, Jessamine, Henry. Chicago, Ill.: P. Craven, 1988. FHL Book 929.273 C855cr
- [Downey] Downey, Donald Gordon. Downey Families of Kentucky: Ancestors of Donald G. Downey. Louisville, Ky.: D.G. Downey, 1993. 1994 reprint: FHL Book 929.273 D758dd
- [Galey] McCammon, George William. Some of the Descendants of Matthew McCammon, 1757-1841, Scot-Irish Immigrant and Revolutionary War Veteran and Indiana Pioneer. Shoals, Ind.: Country Pines Printing, 1996. FHL Book 929.273 M125m
- [Johnson] A Genealogy of the Johnson Family. Typescript. Microfilmed 1986. FHL Vault Film 1451807
- [Lyon] Mitchell, Mary Edna. One Branch of the Lyon Family (Kentucky - Missouri - Elsewhere). Waco, Texas: M.E. Mitchell, 1954. FHL Book 929.273 L994m
- [Meade] Peet, Henry Johns. Chaumiere Papers Containing Matters of Interest to the Descendants of David Meade, of Nansemond County, Va., Who Died in the Year 1757. Chicago: H. O'Donoghue, 1883. FHL Collection; digital version at FamilySearch Books Online .
- [Moseley] Dixon, Judith Holden. The Moseley/Taylor Families of Thomas Berry Proctor and Willie Ann (Taylor) Moseley with Material on the Allied Families of: Maxey, Radford, Bondurant, Smith, Trabue, Guerrant, Withers, Hawkins, Duff, Pryor, Branch, Sandifer, Ligon, Hancock, Stovall, Berry, Proctor, Cheadle, Chiles, Woodson, Fleming, Tarleton. Joplin, Mo.: J.H. Dixon, 1990. FHL Book 929.273 M852d
- [Overstreet] Windland, Harry K. James Overstreet: His Progeny and Allied Families. Glen Carbon, Ill.: H.K. Windland, 1995. FHL Book 929.273 Ov2wh
- [Owens] Sone, Guy M. Genealogy of Rogers, Peyton, Owens, Sone, Marrs, Jennings, Jouett and Allied Families. Jefferson City, Mo.: G.M. Sone, 1958. FHL Film 875358 Item 4
- [Owens] Enderle, Harriet Owen. Owens Genealogy. Written about 1975.
- [Owens] Owens, Claude M. The Owens Connection: William, Sr., to William, Jr., and James (Virginia and Kentucky, 1750-1800 c.). South Laguna, Calif.: C.M. Owens, 1992. FHL Book 929.273 Ow2ocm; digital version at FamilySearch Books Online .
- [Price] Katz, Gertrude Morton Price. Obituaries of Morton Moses Price (1805-1876) and Wife, Fanny Crosthwaite (1822-1892), of Irvine, Estill County, Kentucky and Data about Relatives. New York: n.p., 1971. FHL Film 844831 Item 4
- [Price] Katz, Gertrude Morton Price and S.M. Duncan. William Price, Kentucky Pioneer, and His Family and Times. Typescript. Microfilmed 1986. FHL Film 1321366 Item 5
- [Reynolds] Rohrer, Emalene Reynolds and Lily May McLemore Clark. The Reynolds Family of Jessamine County. Nicholasville, Ky.: E.R. Rohrer, 1989. FHL Book 929.273 R333rc 1989
- [Rhorer] Curtis, Oscar F. Rhorer Research File. Typescript. Microfilmed 1989. FHL Film 1638489 Item 19
- [Robinson] Peters, Norman R. "Benjamin Robinson of Caroline County, VA. But Not the Clerk!" The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 48, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 2004):57-75; Vol. 48, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 2004):120-139. Digital version at American Ancestors ($).
- [Scott] Barker, Florence Fares. Scott Family, ca. 1788-1986. Typescript, Rockport Public Library, Rockport, Ind. Microfilmed 1987. FHL Film 1502917 Item 2
- [Sone] Sone, Guy M. Genealogy of Rogers, Peyton, Owens, Sone, Marrs, Jennings, Jouett and Allied Families. Jefferson City, Mo.: G.M. Sone, 1958. FHL Film 875358 Item 4
- [Stewart] Stewart, Scott John. The Stewarts: Adam to Adam. 1998. FHL Book 929.273 St49ssj
- [Stuart] Stuart, W. Wilson, Cheryl Stuart Oberhaus, and Mary Haislip Jameson. Genealogy of Thomas and Elizabeth Stuart 1762-1826 from Virginia to Kentucky to Missouri with Some Descendants. Keokuk, Iowa: W.W. Stuart, 1993. FHL Book 929.273 St91sw; digital version at FamilySearch Books Online .
- [Todd] McMurtry, Richard K. Addendum to Todd Families in America Collection. MSS. 2004-2005. FHL Vault Film 1735027 Item 10
- [Trabue] Colwell, Pauline Trabue Groves and Osee Johnson Knouf. Trabue Family History: Ancestry and Known Descendants of David Trabue, Jr., Born Oct. 9, 1768, Manikintown, Virginia, Died Apr. 8, 1842, Jessamine Co., Kentucky. Champaign, Ill.: n.p., 1968. FHL Book 929.273 T671c
- [Trisler] Trislers and Related Families. Bountiful, Utah: Family History Publishers, 1990. FHL Book 929.273 T738t
- [Turner] Johnson, Rhea Duryea. Our Duryea and Turner Lines. Cornwall, Pa.: R.D. Johnson, 1959. FHL Book 929.273 D939j
- [Wagaman] Wagaman, Paul Duane. Wagaman Family History. Typescript. FHL Book 929.273 W121wpd
- [Wren] Jeffers, Marilee Anne Shern and Nina Shern Liechty. The Shern Family with Correlating South, Wren and Taylor and Murray Lines. Greeley, Colo.: M.S. Jeffers, 1997. FHL Book 929.273 Sh56j
- [Zike] Smith, Harry Virgle and Iva Pearl Smith. The Zike Book. Typescript. Microfilmed 1989. FHL Film 1638365 Item 1
- [Zimmerman] Moore, Willa Mae Dill. Records of Frederick Zimmerman, Esq., Jessamine Co., Kentucky, Revolutionary Soldier and Other Genealogical Records. Typescript, 1960. FHL Film 879671 Item 5
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Kentucky Land and Property for additional information about early Kentucky land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Jessamine County, Kentucky. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Kentucky Local Histories.
- Maps of Kentucky (1776-1939)
- KYGenWeb compiled list of maps
- Click on the county to go to the KYGenWeb site
- Military Resources ~ Revolutionary War through Civil War
- Korean War Memorial Korean War Memorial for Soliders from KY ~ KYGenWeb
- Fallen Soldiers in WWI from KY ~ Fallen Soldiers in WWI from Kentucky
Regiments. Service men in Jessamine County, Kentucky served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Jessamine County, Kentucky:
- - 20th Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Company K
- Kentucky Postcards ~ The USGenWeb Archives Penny Postcard Project
- The KYGenWeb Footsteps ~ The Kentucky Footsteps Archives ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky News - Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Another Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Kentucky Newspapers on Microfilm - Kentucky Newspapers Available On Microfilm
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Jessamine County, Kentucky newspapers in online catalogs like:
- KY Footsteps Archives ~ KY Footsteps List Archives - thousands of obituaries here ~ KYGenWeb Project
- KY Obituary Sources ~ Kentucky Obituary Sources ~ Compiled by the KYGenWeb Project
- Links to research and locate obituaries
- Browning Genealogy Database ~ The Browning Genealogy Database - A Collection of Obituaries Compiled by Charles Browning.
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Kentucky Obituary Project
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Kentucky Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
- Nashville Advocate ~ Death Abstracts from the Nashville Christian Advocate
- 1799-1927 - Will Books A to M (1799-1927) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more background information and state-wide resources see the wiki page Kentucky Taxation.
- 1799, 1805, 1813 - Ellis, Neta Reeves. Jessamine County, Kentucky, Tax Lists 1799-1805-1813. Buffalo, Texas: The Scribes, 1988. FHL Book 976.9483 R48j
- 1800 - 1800 Tax List of Jessamine County, Kentucky is included in Clift's Second Census of Kentucky 1800, digitized by Ancestry ($).
- 1815, 1819, 1821 - Ellis, Neta Reeves. Jessamine County, Kentucky, Tax Lists 1815-1819-1821. Buffalo, Texas: The Scribes, 1988. FHL Book 976.9483 R48je
Vital records consist of birth, death, marriage and divorce records. Although Kentucky enacted a statute in 1852-1862 requiring registration of births and deaths,many counties did not comply. A second law was written in 1874-1879, and 1892-1910 but, again, was not always followed. By 1911, the law was more clearly defined and kept by 1920. Any existing births 1852-1960 and death records 1852-1953 can be accessed online. See How to Find Kentucky Birth Records and How to Find Kentucky Death Records for links to indexes and images.
Original marriage records are held at the office of the Jessamine County, Kentucky Clerk, with divorce records 1849-1958 located with the Jessamine County, Kentucky Circuit Court. For more information see How to Find Kentucky Marriage Records. For Kentucky divorce records see the wiki page Kentucky Vital Records. See also How to order Kentucky Vital Records
- 1852-1859 - Jessamine County Birth Index 1852-1859. Batch C517541 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1874 - Jessamine County Birth Index 1874. Batch C517542 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875 - Jessamine County Birth Index 1875. Batch C517543 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1852-1859 - Jessamine County Marriage Index 1852-1859. Batch M517541 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875 - Jessamine County Marriage Index 1875. Batch M517544 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1876-1877 - Jessamine County Marriage Index 1876-1877. Batch M517545 at FamilySearch - free.
- Jessamine County, Kentucky Marriage Records 1799-1820 at Ancestry.com (Free/$)
- The Kentucky Vital Records Project Transcriptions of and Images of KY Death Certificates - A Work in Progress ~ The KY Vital Records Project
- KY Births & Christenings ~ Kentucky Births and Christenings, 1839-1960 Family Search
- KY Deaths & Burials ~ KY Deaths & Burials 1843 - 1970
- KY Marriage Records ~ KY Marriages 1783 - 1979 ~ Family Search
- Searchable KY Vital Records ~ Searchable databases of KY Births, Deaths & Marriages
- Kentucky Marriage Records 1973 - 2000 ~ Kentucky Marriage Records - 1973 - 2000
- KY Divorces 1973 - 1993 ~ Kentucky Divorce Records 1973 - 1993 ~ University of Kentucky Vital Records Databases
- The Social Security Death Index The Social Security Death Index - Searchable
Jessamine County Kentucky Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Jessamine County Public Library
600 So. Main Street
Nicholasville, KY 40356
- List of Kentucky Archives, Libraries, Publications, Historical & Genealogical Societies
- Links and addresses to Kentucky genealogical and historical societies
Family History Centers
Jessamine County Kentucky Genealogy Websites
- Jessamine County, KY History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Jessamine County KYGenWeb
- KYGenWeb project. Has maps, name indexes, history or other information for each county. Select the county.
- State of Kencucky Website
- USGenWeb Kentucky Archives ~ Kentucky in the USGenWeb Archives ~ Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records.
- The USGenWeb project May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Jessamine County, Kentucky Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
Jessamine County Kentucky Genealogy References
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Jessamine County, Kentucky page 271, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ May be used for free at Family History Center. To locate a center near you, click here.
- ↑ May be used for free at Family History Center. To locate a center near you, click here.
- ↑ G. Glenn Clift, Second Census of Kentucky 1800: A Privately Compiled and Published Enumeration of Tax Payers Appearing in the 79 Manuscript Volumes Extant of Tax Lists of the 42 Counties of Kentucky in Existence in 1800 (1954; reprint, Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 2005).
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 6.5 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/0/0b/Igikentuckygl.pdf.
- ↑ May be used for free at Family History Center. To locate a center near you, click here.
- This page was last modified on 15 August 2014, at 17:39.
- This page has been accessed 10,893 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki