Johnson County, IowaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Johnson County, Iowa|
Location in the state of Iowa
Location of Iowa in the U.S.
|Founded||December 21, 1837|
|County Seat||Iowa City|
For animated maps illustrating Iowa County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Iowa County Boundary Maps" (1816-1872) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Iowa Counties see: Iowa Counties with Burned Courthouses
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Iowa Church Records.
- Records of the Zion Lutheran Church, Iowa City, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
- Iowa City, Iowa Semi-Centennial Directory, 1840-90 at Ancestry.com ($)
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Iowa Land and Property for additional information about early Iowa land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Johnson County, Iowa. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Iowa Local Histories.
Regiments. Service men in Johnson County, Iowa served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Johnson County, Iowa:
- - 1st Regiment, Iowa Infantry (3 months, 1861), Company B
- - 2nd Regiment, Iowa Cavalry, Company H
- - 6th Regiment, Iowa Cavalry, Companies I and M
- - 6th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company G
- - 22nd Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Companies A, B, F, G, H, I and K
- - 24th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company D
- - 28th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company E
- - 44th Regiment, Iowa Infantry (100 days, 1864), Company D
- - 47th Regiment, Iowa Infantry (100 days, 1864), Company G
- - 1st Regiment, Iowa Cavalry, Company F
:- 1st Regiment, Iowa Infantry (3 months, 1861), Company B
:- 22nd Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company A
:- 22nd Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company B
:- 22nd Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company F
:- 22nd Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company G
:- 22nd Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company H
:- 22nd Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company I
:- 22nd Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company K
:- 24th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company D
:- 28th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company E
:- 2nd Regiment, Iowa Cavalry, Company H
:- 44th Regiment, Iowa Infantry (100 days, 1864), Company D
:- 47th Regiment, Iowa Infantry (100 days, 1864), Company G
:- 6th Regiment, Iowa Cavalry, Company I
:- 6th Regiment, Iowa Cavalry, Company M
:- 6th Regiment, Iowa Infantry, Company G
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Johnson County, Iowa newspapers in online catalogs like:
- FamilySearch. Do a Johnson County, Iowa Place-name search for these and other records in the FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see, FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search). *Daily Iowan Newspaper Collection -- access to digitized versions of The Daily Iowan and its predecessors: the University Reporter (1868-81), the Vidette (1879-81), the Vidette-Reporter (1881-1901) and the University Mirror (1881). The newspaper editions are full text searchable. *NewspaperArchive.com ($) has historical newspapers online including Cedar Rapids newspapers that may have included Johnson County residents. This database is free at some libraries.
In most counties in Iowa, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Iowa - Johnson - Probate records.
Iowa tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. Tax lists were usually made every year, however, there may be gaps of several years. For more information, see the wiki page Iowa Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Iowa Department of Public Health or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also How to order Iowa Vital Records or order electronically online..
Societies and Libraries
See also a List of Iowa Archives, Libraries, Publications, Historical & Genealogical Societies
Family History Centers
Centers provide: • Personal one-on-one assistance • Access to genealogical records through the Internet or microfilm loan program • Free how-to classes (varies by location). See Family History Centers for more information.
- Iowa City Iowa Family History Center 2730 Bradford Dr., Iowa City, IA 52240 United States Location Map
- Mount Vernon Iowa Family History Center Scobey Road, Mount Vernon, IA 52314 United States Location Map
Check back often with these websites. Internet offerings are growing at record rates.
Local societies and libraries may know of other websites.
Sites with online indexes or images of records pertaining to Johnson County, Iowa State Historical Society of Iowa Free list and links to data and "hard copy" material - results of "johnson county" placed in search box The Iowa Heritage Digital Collection Free digital images from a variety of Iowa cultural institutions - results of "johnson county" in the search box State Library of Iowa Free electronic depository of documents intended for the general public produced by Iowa agencies - results of "johnson county" in the search box IAGenWeb Free Data may be submitted by individuals or complete transcriptions USGenWeb Archives Free Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions genealogytrails.com Free Data may be submitted by individuals or complete transcriptions   FamilySearch Free Births, 1880-1935; Deaths 1880-1992; Marriages, 1838-1934; all indexes Sites that search for links pertaining to Johnson County, Iowa RootsWeb Resources Free Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions Linkpendium Free Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($) CyndisList Free Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($) Iowa-genealogy.com Free Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($) StateofUS.com Free family history resources and government records Major catalogs for hard copy collections of Johnson County, Iowa
Books, microfilm, or manuscripts of genealogical records
FamilySearch Catalog Select topics. To select towns, add a comma to the search box. WorldCat To find nearby libraries that have specific items, see WorldCat Online Catalog. Allen County Public Library located in Indiana They are heavily involved in digitizing. See also local libraries and Iowa Archives and Libraries Social networking sites pertaining to Johnson County, Iowa GeneaBloggers enter "Iowa" in search box to see list and links to Iowa blogs Google+ list of groups from "iowa genealogy" search list of groups from "Iowa Genealogy" search genealogy.com Johnson County, IA Genealogy Forum ancestry.com Johnson County Message Board
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- This page was last modified on 1 August 2014, at 19:43.
- This page has been accessed 4,092 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki