Jones County, Georgia GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Jones County, Georgia ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Jones County, Georgia|
Location in the state of Georgia
|Founded||December 10, 1807|
|Address|| Jones County Courthouse|
PO Box 1359
Gray, GA 31032-1359
Jones County Website
Jones County Courthouse
PO Box 1359
Gray, GA 31032-1359
Probate Court has birth and death records from 1924, along with marriage and probate records from 1811; Clerk Superior Court has land and court records
Clerk of Superior Court
110 S. Jefferson St.
P.O. Box 39
Gray, GA 31032
Telephone: (478) 986-6671
Fax: (478) 986-2030
Probate Court of Jones County
P.O. Box 1090
Gray, GA 31032
For animated maps illustrating Georgia county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Georgia County Boundary Maps" (1758-1932) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
No reported loss or damage.
- Mountain Springs Cemetery, Macon BillionGraves
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Georgia denominations, see the Georgia Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Georgia Land and Property for additional information about early Georgia land grants from the government. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions (generally buying and selling deeds) were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Jones County, Georgia Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Georgia Local Histories.
Regiments. Service men in Jones County, Georgia Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Jones County, Georgia Genealogy:
- - 12th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company B
- - 32nd Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company A
- - 45th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company F
- - 66th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate) , Company D
- - Georgia USGenWeb Archives Project (other war's informantion is also given)
- Williams, Carolyn White. 1957. History of Jones County, Georgia, for one hundred years, specifically 1807-1907. Macon, Ga: J.W. Burke Co. (page 98-162) 975.8567 H2w
- Georgia. Court of Ordinary (Jones County). 1966. Confederate roster, 1861-1862, and Confederate pension rolls, 1890-1944. Salt Lake City, Utah: Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah. film 470350
Civil War Battle
The following Civil War battle was fought in Jones County.
- Map showing Civil War battles in Georgia.
Newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Jones County, Georgia Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- FamilySearch Catalog. Do a Place search for Jones County, Georgia Genealogy to find these and other records in the FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search).
Online Probate Records
- 1742–1992 Georgia Wills and Probate Records 1742-1992 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1742–1990 Georgia Probate Records 1742-1990 at FamilySearch.org images
Colonial courts kept some early probate records. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (not all years).
- 1808-1850 - Wills, Book E, 1808-1850 (abstracts) Georgia Pioneers $
- 1851-1856 - Wills, Book C 1851-1856 (abstracts) Georgia Pioneers $
- 1864-1890 - Wills, Book D 1864-1890 (abstracts) Georgia Pioneers $
- 1809-1851 - Index to Will Books A, B, C, 1809-1851 Georgia Pioneers $
- 1851-1867 - Index to Will Books C and D, 1851-1867 Georgia Pioneers $
- 1825-1828 - Index to Annual Returns and Estates, Book F, 1825-1828 Georgia Pioneers $
- 1809-1835 - Digital Images of Jones County Wills 1809 to 1835. See list of testators. Georgia Pioneers $
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Georgia State Department of Health , the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online..
- 1785-1950 Georgia County Marriages 1785-1950 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1808-1967 Georgia Marriages 1808-1967 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1828-1978 Georgia Marriage Records from Select Counties 1828-1978 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1699-1944 Georgia Marriages 1699-1944 at Ancestry.com— index $
- 1811-1850 Marriages Georgia Pioneers $
- 1811-1822 Marriage Bonds Index (digital images) Georgia Pioneers $
- 1811-1895 - Jones County Marriage Index 1811-1895. Batch M713161 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1864-1882 - Jones County Marriage Index 1864-1882. Batch M713162 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875-1893 - Jones County Marriage Index 1875-1893. Batch M713164 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1879-1895 - Jones County Marriage Index 1879-1895. Batch M713163 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1933-1998 Georgia Death Index 1933-1998 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1914-1927 Georgia Deaths 1914-1927 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1928-1939 Georgia Deaths 1928-1939 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Jones County, GA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Georgia Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Georgia Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- USGenWeb Jones County, Georgia project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Jones County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Georgia Pioneers ($)
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Jones County, Georgia. Page 157 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Paul K. Graham, Georgia Courthouse Disasters (Decatur, Georgia: Genealogy Co., 2013), 38. At various libraries (WorldCat).
- ↑ Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 13 August, 2012)
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/57/Igigeorgiael.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 16 November 2015, at 02:28.
- This page has been accessed 9,592 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News