Kalamazoo County, MichiganEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Kalamazoo County Michigan genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Kalamazoo County, Michigan|
Location of Michigan in the U.S.
|Founded||October 29, 1829|
|Address|| Kalamazoo County Courthouse|
201 W Kalamazoo Ave.
Kalamazoo, MI 49007
Phone: (269) 383-8840
Kalamazoo County Website
County Clerk has birth and death records from 1867,
marriage records from 1831, divorce and court records from 1800’s.
Probate Courth has probate records.
Register of Deeds has land records. 
1829--Kalamazoo County was created 29 October 1829 from unorganized territory. It was attached to St. Joseph County prior to organization 1 October 1830. County seat: Kalamazoo 
some partial transcriptions are available at Rootsweb: www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~mikccem/burialbycemetery.htm Burials (through 2006) at Riverside Cemetery are available at this site as a PDF.
The Kalamazoo County US GenWeb Page has a list of cemeteries at: www.migenweb.org/kalamazoo/cemindex.htm.
Histories of many of the villages in Kalamazoo were described in the 1869 Kalamazoo directory which is available for free from www.archive.org.
- Family Maps of Kalamazoo County, Michigan (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
Civil War service men from Kalamazoo County served in various regiments. Men often joined a regiment or a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are the military units that were formed in or had many men from Kalamazoo County.
- - 1st Regiment, Michigan Cavalry, Companies I and M
- - 12th Regiment, Michigan Infantry, Companies F, H, and Unassigned
- - 17th Regiment, Michigan Infantry, Companies D, I, and K
Kalamazoo Gazette (various incarnations 1837-present). The Kalamazoo Public Library is indexing the newspaper which is searchable online through their website: www.kpl.gov The continually updated index can be searched by going to Research-> Genealogy -> Local Information Databases -> Search Local Newspapers (select "subject" from the drop down box). Obituaries are available for a small fee.
Kalamazoo Telegraph (various incarnations 1845-1916). The Kalamazoo Public Library is digitizing this paper. It is currently searchable (1868-1899) from their website.
Southwest Michigan Obituary Index from the earliest date to 2000.
- Michigan Birth Registrations, 1867-1902 -- Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch Record Search. Records include such information as name of child, birthdate and place, if still-born, illegitimate or twin, gender, race and record number.
- Michigan Marriage Registrations, 1868-1925 -- Free name indexes at FamilySearch Record Search. Records include such information as names of bride and groom, date of license, ages, race, residences, birthplaces, occupations and names of the fathers of the bride and groom.
- Michigan Death Registrations, 1867-1897-- Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch Record Search. Records include such information as name of deceased, date and place of death, gender, color, marital status, age in years, months and days, disease or apparent cause of death, birthplace, names and occupations of parents, and the date the record was made.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. http://www.migenweb.org/kalamazoo/
- kalamazoogenealogy.org has many local records (digitized and searchable) including vital records, city directories, maps, yearbooks and more.
- kalamazoogenealogy.blogspot.com (Bushwhacking Genealogy: Kalamazoo and Beyond) describes Kalamazoo genealogy resources and articles on local history.
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Kalamazoo County, Michigan page 346, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- This page was last modified on 19 April 2013, at 23:06.
- This page has been accessed 1,916 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More