Kansas Indian Agency (Kansas)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Indian Tribes Associated With This Agency
The Kansas Agency was established in 1851, from the discontinued Fort Leavenworth Agency. The Kansas Agency was under the Central Superintendency and was located briefly at the old Wyandot Subagency, but more permanently on the Shawnee Reserve. In 1855, it was divided into the Delaware Agency and the Shawnee Agency. A new Kansas Agency was established in 1855 for the Kansa or Kaw Indians and was located at Council Grove, Kansas. It was discontinued in 1874, since the Kansa Indians had, by then, moved to the Osage Reservation in northeastern Indian Territory.
Two other agencies were known as the Kansas Agency for brief periods of time, but records were not filed under that name. From 1825 to 1834, a Kansas Agency for the Kansa Indians was in operation, but records were kept for it under the Fort Leavenworth Agency and the St. Louis Superintendency.
Agents and Appointment Dates
A. Baronet Vasquez (subagent) April 13, 1825, Marston G. Glark (subagent) February 19, 1829, Marston G. Clark (Agent) July 12, 1832, Thomas Mosely, Jr. June 30, 1851 Benjamine F. Robinson April 18, 1853, John Montgomery March 3 1855, Milton C. Dickey March 3, 1859, H. W. Farnsworth April 18, 1861, Forrest R. Page September 1, 1866, E. S. Stover March 18, 1867, and Mahlon Stubbs June 22, 1869 
Letters received by the Office of Indian Affairs from the Kansas Agency, 1851-1876, have been microfilmed by the National Archives as part of their Microcopy Number M234, rolls 364-370. Copies are available at the National Archives and at the Family History Library and its family history centers (their microfilm roll numbers 1661094 thru 1661100).
- ↑ Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974, pp. 83-84.
- ↑ The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. By Edward E. Hill. Clearwater Publishing Co., New York, NY ©1974. FHL Book 970.1 H551o
- ↑ American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998, Microcopy M234, p. 8.
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online
- "Accompanying Pamphlet for Microcopy 1011", National Archives Microfilm Publications, Appendix.
- This page was last modified on 7 January 2013, at 17:11.
- This page has been accessed 555 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More