Kendall County, TexasEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Kendall County Texas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
Kendall County has been home to two Courthouses. The first one, built in 1870, is still in use, across the street from the current courthouse, built in 1998.
See an interactive map of Kendall County border changes.
Places / Localities
Boerne | Bergheim | Comfort | Kendalia | Sisterdale | Waring | Welfare
Cemetery records often reveal birth, marriage, death, relationship, military, and religious information.
|Online Grave Transcripts||Published Grave Transcripts||County Cemetery Directories|
|Family History Library|
|See Texas Cemeteries for more information.|
Additional Cemetery Sources
Kendall County Cemeteries from the Kendall County TXGenWeb site
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death/burial date and place. For general information about Texas denominations, view the Texas Church Records wiki page.
After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions, including deeds and mortgages, have been recorded by the county. You can obtain copies of these land records by writing to the county clerk at the county courthouse. For more information, see Texas Land and Property.
The Family History Library Catalog lists microfilm copies of deeds, trust deeds, and mortgages of many counties.
Local histories are available for Kendall County, Texas. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Texas Local Histories.
- A History of Kendall County, Texas, 1984, by Kendall County Historical Commission.
- Historic Images of Boerne, Texas, 1982, by Garland A. Perry.
- A Hundred Years of Comfort in Texas, 1954; rev. ed. 1974, by Guido E. Ransleben.
- Death on the Nueces: German Texans Treue der Union, 2002, by Rodman L. Underwood.
- Kendall County History from the Handbook of Texas Online.
Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the TXGenWeb site
Kendall County provided soldiers to both the Confederate and Union armies.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Kendall County, Texas newspapers in online catalogs like:
- The Boerne Star Newspaper
- Newspapers in Kendall County from the Kendall County TXGenWeb site.
- Wikipedia has a list of online newspaper archives for Texas.
- Newspaperarchive.com ($) has historical newspapers available on-line. Their database has San Antonio newspapers from the late 1800's that may include residents from Kendall County.
Probate records of Texas have been kept by the probate clerk in each county courthouse. You can obtain copies of the records from the clerk's office. In most counties, all information pertaining to a probate case is recorded in the "probate minutes."
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their places of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records.
See the Wiki page Texas Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Texas tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Texas Taxation.
Texas County Tax Rolls, 1846-1910 lists FHL films with county tax lists. The lists vary by county and year. Most records are between the years of 1846 - 1910.
See Texas Vital Records for more information about Vital records in Texas. Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. United States Vital Records has additional research guidance on researching and using vital records.
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Texas Vital Records State Department of Health or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred.
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
Societies and Libraries
- Genealogical and Historical Society of Kendall County
114 East Blanco Road
Boerne, Tx 78006
- Boerne Area Historical Preservation Society website
P.O. Box 178
Boerne, TX 78006
- Kendall County Historical Commission website
P.O. Box 993
Boerne TX 78006
- Boerne Public Library website
210 N. Main St.
Boerne, TX 78006
- Comfort Public Library website
- Kendalia Public Library website
Family History Centers
- TXGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Kendall County, Texas. Page 667 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
|This Texas-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- This page was last modified on 15 May 2013, at 02:28.
- This page has been accessed 1,686 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More