Kenton, SuffolkEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Kenton, Suffolk family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Plomesgate PLU|
|Parish registers: 1538|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1698|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Suffolk|
|Location of Archive|
|Suffolk Record Office|
KENTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Plomesgate, hundred of Loes, E. division of Suffolk, 2¼ miles (N. N. E.) from Debenham. 
If you live in Suffolk then you will have access to a variety of resources; however , for those who live further afield, one can access microfilm and online records at Family History Centers. Refer to Kenton and Suffolk in the FamilySearch Catalog for available records.
Kenton is in Plomesgate District. Kenton is detached part of Plomesgate district. It is in Loes Hundred. To the north and east is Hoxne district; to the south is Bosmere district; to the west is Hartismere district. To search an index of Plomesgate district records go to FreeBMD. The Suffolk Civil Registration article tells more about these records.
Kenton, Suffolk parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|1813 = Suffolk Marriage Index (1813-37) (FindMyPast) - (£)|
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (FindMyPast) - (£)|
|IGI = International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free|
|NBI = National Burial Index (FindMyPast) - (£)|
|Kenton, Suffolk Parish Online Records|
The Parish Registers begin in 1538. They can be viewed at the Suffolk Record Office. For pre 1813 Bishop Transcript entries you will need to look in Hoxne Deanery, Archdeaconry of Suffolk. Parish Chest records are lacking for Kenton. See Suffolk Church Record for further details. The Suffolk Family History Society has published a CD containing the baptisms for every parish in Hoxne Deanery covering the time period of 1813 to 1900.
There are census records available for Kenton from 1841 to 1911. Census records are available on a variety of subscription and other websites. If you need to consult the 1841 to 1891 census on microfilm, refer to Kenton, England, Census in the library catalogue.
There is statistical data available for the census years 1801 to 1931 that records the number of houses, families, people, and other statistical data for every parish in the county.
Refer to the Suffolk Census wiki article for details.
Prior to 1858 the primary court that had jurisdiction over Dennington was the Archdeaconry of Suffolk; however, a person’s will or administration may have been probated in nearby courts or even in London. After 1858 it was in Ipswich District. Refer to the Suffolk Probate Records article for further details.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Suffolk Gazetteers and Directories from 1839 to 1909 - Suffolk Gazetteers and directories provide a brief history and description of each parish and lists principal residents. They mention the farmers and tradesman in each parish and the nearest market towns among other items.
- National Gazetteers provide a brief description of each place
- England Jurisdictions 1851 maps - see parish in context with surrounding parishes also determine various ecclesiastical and civil jurisdictions for this parish
- Kenton on Google maps - see lay of the land as it is today
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 659-663. Date accessed: 16 May 2014.
- ↑ 'Suffolk Marriage Index (1813-37) Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 9 December 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Suffolk, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 10 December 2013.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 4 December 2013.
- ↑ 1870-72, John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales .
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 659-663.
- This page was last modified on 18 July 2014, at 22:45.
- This page has been accessed 982 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki