Kentucky BiographyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
IntroductionBiographies provide useful genealogical information such as an individual’s birth date and place (including foreign birthplace, where applicable); marriage information; family members; occupation; education; and social, political, and religious affiliations. They may also contain previous residences, immigration information, and a physical description. Biographies are the product of family knowledge or previous research, often compiled about the early settlers and prominent citizens of the state, county, or town. Many lesser-known individuals may have biographical sketches written about them, especially in local histories.
The Family History Library has a good collection of biographical sources. Representative biographical works for Kentucky include:
- Kentucky Genealogy and Biography. 9 vols. Owensboro, KY: Genealogical Reference, 1969–. FHL book 976.9 D3wt. These are reprints of the biographical sections of various editions of Kentucky: A History of the State, by W. H. Perrin, et al., published during the 1880s. The biographies are arranged by county. Another reprint of the biographical sections of Perrin’s work was published by the Southern Historical Press and bears the title of the original work, Kentucky: A History of the State. These volumes are facsimiles of the original biographies, with complete name indexes prepared by various individuals. New material was added in 1979. The Family History Library has described each volume on a separate record. Vol.1 FHL book 976.9 H2pa 1972; Vols.2-8a FHL book 976.9 H2p; Vol.8b FHL book 976.9 H2p 1992
- The Biographical Encyclopedia of Kentucky of the Dead and Living Men of the Nineteenth Century. 1 vol. in 2. Cincinnati, Ohio: J. M. Armstrong, 1878. book 976.9 D36; film 823790; index on FHL film 908759 item 15 This includes an index to the more than 1,000 biographies.
- Biographical Cyclopedia of the Commonwealth of Kentucky: Embracing Biographies of Many of the Prominent Men and Families of the State. 1896. Reprint, Easley, SC: Southern Historical Press, 1980. FHL film 962285; book 976.9 D36bi. This book contains several hundred biographies and is indexed.
- Biographical Directory of the Kentucky General Assembly. Frankfort, KY: Kentucky Historical Society, 1964. FHL film 467391 item 2. This directory includes members of every session of the Kentucky General Assembly from 1792 to 1964. From 1792 to 1851 the directory is arranged by district, county, then senator for the Senate and by county and then representative for the House of Representatives. After 1851 the directory is arranged by district, county, and Senator/Representative for both the Senate and House of Representatives. The notes section after every session often contains the date and place of death if the elected official died while in office. It also gives the names of those expelled and the date and reason for the action.
- Dickey, John Jay. Autobiography and Diary. Lexington, KY: University of Kentucky, 1951. FHL films 157070–5 John Jay Dickey (1842–1934) was a Baptist minister from Fleming County, Kentucky, who used his diary to record the genealogies of anyone who would allow him to do so. The diary runs from 18 November 1882 to 15 October 1933. It is indexed in:
- Winton, Wilma. Pioneer Ghosts of Kentucky, Rest in Peace John Jay Dickey: A Comprehensive Name Index of the Dickey Diary. 4 vols. Modesto, California: Pearl Bullock, 1986. FHL film 6010769–772; book 976.9 D3wi. Mr. Dickey was a Baptist minister who lived in northeastern Kentucky from 1842 to 1934. During his ministry, he felt a need to preserve the genealogies of everyone he met.
- Draper, Lyman Copeland, comp. Draper's Biographical Sketches. Chicago, Illinois: University of Chicago Library, 1951. FHL film 001750 This film is unindexed but includes many biographies of eminent early residents of Kentucky and nearby states. These biographies are abstracted from the large Draper Manuscript Collection described on the Kentucky History wiki page.
- Kentucky. Chicago and New York: The American Historical Society, 1922. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free.
Indexes to major collected biographies include:
- Cook, Michael L. Kentucky Index of Biographical Sketches in State, Regional, and County Histories. Evansville, Indiana: Cook Publications, 1986. FHL book 976.9 D32c. This index is alphabetical by name and includes a page number and a reference to the book where the biography is published.
The Kentucky Biographies Project has compiled over 7,000 biographies, which are available on the Internet at:
- Kentucky Biography in Kentucky Biographies ProjectCourtesy of Kentucky GenWeb.
The Kentucky Historical Society, listed in the "Societies" section, has an extensive family surname file and a large collection of personal and family histories.
The Department of Special Collections and Archives at the Margaret I. King Library, listed in the "Archives and Libraries" section, has an extensive card index to Kentucky biographies.
The Last Name Search of the Family History Library Catalog will lead you to biographies and published family histories on specific surnames. Using the term "Kentucky" and the surname in the Keyword Search will help to limit the extent of the search to families in Kentucky.
The Family History Library has many collected biographies and local or county histories with biographical sketches on residents. These can be found in the Place-names Search of the Family History Library Catalog under:
KENTUCKY, [COUNTY]- BIOGRAPHY
KENTUCKY, [COUNTY]- HISTORY
KENTUCKY, [COUNTY], [TOWN]- HISTORY
- This page was last modified on 11 September 2012, at 22:23.
- This page has been accessed 2,329 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More