Kentucky CemeteriesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Since 1977 the Kentucky Historical Society has been computerizing all of the state’s existing cemetery records. This index will have genealogical information from an estimated seven million tombstones when it is completed. The society also collects pre-1911 funeral records.
The Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) collection contains tombstone inscriptions from many Kentucky cemeteries. The DAR collection is described in Kentucky Genealogy. Five volumes of DAR cemetery records have been published separately:
- Daughters of the American Revolution (Kentucky). Kentucky Cemetery Records. 5 vols. Lexington, KY: KSDAR, 1960–. FHL film 873712; book 976.9 V22d,vols.1–3 on Each volume is indexed.
Many transcriptions are found in:
- Cemetery Records of Kentucky. 2 vols. N.p., 1962,1968. (Family History Library FHL film 873713; book 976.9 V22L. Additional volumes of this collection are listed in the Locality Search of the Family History Library Catalog under individual counties. These volumes are arranged by county and include abstracts of cemetery records from 15 counties.
Burials in 241 Kentucky cemeteries along the old Wilderness Road are recorded in:
- Johnson, Robert Foster. Wilderness Road Cemeteries in Kentucky, Tennessee and Virginia. Owensboro, Kentucky: McDowell Publications, 1981. FHL book 973 V3j. The Wilderness Road led from Virginia through northern Tennessee and into Kentucky. The book includes a surname index.
A 1988 county-by-county list of cemetery record transcripts available at the Family History Library is:
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Family History Library. Index to United States Cemeteries. Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1988. FHL films 1206468–94 Film 1206474 contains a listing of the cemetery records in Kentucky that are at the library.
Internet Tombstone Transcripts and Indexes
The USGenWeb Archives has records from hundreds of cemeteries representing more than half of the counties of Kentucky. Included on their Web site is the Kentucky Tombstone Transcription Project, available at http://www.usgwtombstones.org/kentucky/kentucky.html. This is a county-by-county list of cemeteries. The highlighted cemetery include tombstone abstracts.
Other Online Resources Include the following:
Many periodicals publish cemetery records. These are referenced in the "Families" section of the PERiodical Source Index (PERSI), described in the "Periodicals" section.
The Place Search of the Family History Library Catalog lists more of these records under:
KENTUCKY - CEMETERIES
KENTUCKY, [COUNTY] - CEMETERIES
KENTUCKY, [COUNTY], [TOWN] - CEMETERIES
- This page was last modified on 29 May 2012, at 19:38.
- This page has been accessed 3,578 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More