Kentucky Probate Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)/Known IssuesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
| This page was created by FamilySearch Historical Records personnel. It details problems identified within this collection and answers to those problems.
If you wish to comment, please visit the discussion page to post your comments.
Question #1 Adair County: The images for the Will Records 1929-1960 Volume N are too light to be read. Is a better copy of these records available?
Answer #1: An alternative would be to order film #0829854 by following the instructions given at Ordering Microfilm or Microfiche. The year range is also wrong for this file. It should read 1879 – 1885. The films can be viewed at your local FamilySearch Center.
Question #2 Bourbon County: Where are the indexes for 1729 - 1977? How do I find the records?
Answer #2: The Index listed as Vol. 1 Index 1729- Should be listed as Vol. 1, 1786 Vol. A- through Will book X- which covers through the 1900's. It lists all the Wills in alphabetical order.
To find the records forBourbon County:
- Go to Vol. 1 and locate the individual’s name. This index lists the last name in the left column with first names listed and a number to the right of the last name. The number refers to the number of the will. For instance Abbay, John R 729 refers to John R. Abbay’s documents which will be found under number 729.
- You will then go to Vol. 2 and locate John R. Abbay no. 729. When you find John R. Abbay, which is on image 34, it will list the volume where the Will is located. In this case John R. Abbay is listed in Vol. G and the Will will be found on page 103.
- Go to Vol. G. and locate page 103. There are 2 pages for each image. The record will be found on image 52.
Question #3 Bourbon County: I find several files that indicate that they contain an index. I cannot find it. Is there an error in labeling these records?
Answer #3: Volumes C, D, J, K, L, M, N, O and P do NOT contain indexes. There was an error in the way these records were titled.
Question #4 Harrison County: In the Will Records, I am seeing Marriage Records. Can you verify this?
Answer #4: In Harrison County there are Marriage Records that were recorded within the Will Books in the county. Marriage Records can be found in the following locations:
- In Will records, 1795-1818, Vol. A there are two sets of Marriages Records on images 222-237 and again on images 456-473. These appear to be the same images from two different filmings of the records.
- In Will records, 1815-1832, Vol. B there are Marriage Records on images 300-313.
- In Will records, 1818-1832, Vol. B there are Marriage Records on images 296-309. These appear to be another filming of the records in Will records, 1815-1832, vol. B.
Question #5 Harlin and Trigg Counties: Where are the records for these Counties?
Answer #5: The Affidavit's of Descent vol. 5-8 for Harlin County are found in Hardin County. The records for Trigg County can be found by searching the Library Catalog and viewing the relevant films at a FamilySearch Center. The indexes are on FHL US/CAN Film 924743 Item 7, and the probate records are on FHL US/CAN Film 874482 Item 4.
Question #6 McCracken County: Are there multiple images in McCracken County?
Answer #6: In 1792-1977 > McCracken > Will records, 1825-1867, Vol. A, there are images that have duplicates and sometimes triplicates. For example: images 2, 3 and 4 are identical, images 5 & 6 are identical and images 7 & 8 are identical. The frequency diminishes as the image numbers increase.
Question #7: The browse point Mercer > Will records, Index, 1826-1834, Vol. 9 appears to be wills rather than an index. Can you clarify this for me?
Answer #7: The records in this browse point are wills and are a continuation of the records in the browse point Will Records, index, 1826-1835 Vol 9. There is a short index in the front of this browse point that applies to both of the above browse points.
In addition to these two browse points, the following are out of sequence because they have the added word “index” in the title. This has caused them to be listed out of sequence with the other Will Records in Mercer County. All browse points have a short index at the front to help locate the wills.
If you encounter additional problems with this collection, feel free to report them at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the following information:
- If browsing this collection: please include the full path you followed to where the problem occurred. The browse path is located above the Image viewer window.
For example: Kentucky, Probate Records, 1792-1977 > Carter > Will Records, 1932-1958, Vol 3 > Image 27 of 819.
- If you are reporting a technical issue: please include your operating system and browser version, such as Windows XP and Internet Explorer.
Your assistance will help ensure that future revisions will be considered.
Return to the Kentucky Probate Records (FamilySearch Historical Records) Learn More page.
Return to the Kentucky, Probate Records, 1792-1977 collection at FamilySearch.org.
- This page was last modified on 18 September 2013, at 04:34.
- This page has been accessed 615 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More