Kentucky Probate Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)/Known IssuesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
| This page was created by FamilySearch Historical Records personnel. It details problems identified within this collection and answers to those problems.
If you wish to comment, please visit the talk page to post your comments.
NOTE: For a way to determine what digital records are likely to be found within a collection or how to find missing images elsewhere, see Article 56000, How to use Film Notes in the Catalog to determine the content of a final browse point in Historical Records.
NOTE: Most missing records are available on microfilm. See Ordering Microfilm or Microfiche for instructions on ordering microfilm as well as finding a local FamilySearch Center where you can view the films.
Question #1: Some records are missing. Where can they be viewed?
Answer #1: See answers below for information about known missing records and their respective film numbers, if available, or alternate online location:
- Washington < Will records, 1885-1889, Vol. T are missing pages 256-257 that would fit between images 129 and 130. They can be viewed by ordering Film 551269.
- Records for Trigg County can be found by searching the Library Catalog at Probate records, 1820-1978; Trigg County (Kentucky) and ordering the relevant films. The indexes are on FHL US/CAN Film 924743 Item 7, and the probate records are on FHL US/CAN Film 874482 Item 4.
Question #2: The Event Type and Year Range (browse point) title does not properly reflect the actual digital record content. Is there a way to determine what digital records are likely to be found within a collection?
Answer #2: The following list of known browse point discrepancies describes the event type or year range that actually exist in this collection:
- Adair > Will records, 1929-1960, Vol. N year span should be listed as 1879-1885. In addition, the images are very light. You can order Film 829854 Orders, v. N-O 1879-1890 to try to get a better image.
- Bourbon > Will records index, 1729, Vol. 1 year span should be listed as Will records index, 1786-1871. To find the records for Bourbon County:
- Go to Vol. 1 and locate the individual’s name. This index lists the last name in the left column with first names listed and a number to the right of the last name. The number refers to the number of the will. For instance Abbay, John R 729 refers to John R. Abbay’s documents which will be found under number 729.
- You will then go to Vol. 2 and locate John R. Abbay no. 729. When you find John R. Abbay, which is on image 34, it will list the volume where the Will is located. In this case John R. Abbay is listed in Vol. G and the Will will be found on page 103.
- Go to Vol. G. and locate page 103. There are 2 pages for each image. The record will be found on image 52.
- Bourbon >
Will records, Index, 1805-1809, Vol. C
Will records, Index, 1809-1814, Vol. D
Will records, Index, 1831-1835, Vol. J
Will records, Index, 1835-1838, Vol. K
Will records, Index, 1838-1841, Vol. L
Will records, Index, 1841-1847, Vol. M
Will records, Index, 1847-1850, Vol. N
Will records, Index, 1850-1853, Vol. O
Will records, Index, 1853-1857, Vol. P
do NOT contain indexes. There was an error in the way these records were titled.
- Harrison >
Will records, 1795-1818, Vol. A includes two sets of Marriages Records on images 222-237 and again on images 456-473. These appear to be the same images from two different filmings of the records.
Will records, 1815-1832, Vol. B includes Marriage Records on images 300-313.
Will records, 1818-1832, Vol. B includes Marriage Records on images 296-309. These appear to be another filming of the records in Will records, 1815-1832, vol. B.
- Hardin >
Affidavit of Descent, 1974-1977, Vol. 5
Affidavit of Descent, 1977-1980, Vol. 6
Affidavit of Descent, 1980-1983, Vol. 7
Affidavit of Descent, 1983-1986, Vol. 8
should all be listed in Harlan County.
- McCracken > Will records, 1825-1867, Vol. A, there are images that have duplicates and sometimes triplicates.
- Mercer > Will records, Index, 1826-1834, Vol. 9 are just wills and is a continuation of the records found in Will Records, index, 1826-1835 Vol 9, which contains the index for both browse points.
The following browse points are out of sequence because they have the added word “index” in the title:
Will records, Index, 1826-1834, Vol. 9
Will records, Index, 1826-1835, Vol. 9
Will records, Index, 1834-1838, Vol. 10
Will records, Index, 1852-1854, Vol. 14
Will records, Index, 1854-1858, Vol. 15
All browse points have a short index at the front to help locate the wills.
- Muhlenberg >
Will records index, 1801-1814, Vol. A-Z year span should be listed as Will records index, 1801-1868.
Wills record, 1954-1968, vol. 9 should read as Wills record, 1954-1968, vol. 9, vol 10.
- Washington >
Will records index, 1922-1949 year span should be listed as Will records index, 1792-1949.
If you encounter additional problems with this collection, feel free to report them at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the following information:
- If browsing this collection: please include the full path you followed to where the problem occurred. The browse path is located above the Image viewer window.
For example: Kentucky, Probate Records, 1792-1977 > Carter > Will Records, 1932-1958, Vol 3 > Image 27 of 819.
- If you are reporting a technical issue: please include your operating system and browser version, such as Windows XP and Internet Explorer.
Your assistance will help ensure that future revisions will be considered.
Return to the Kentucky Probate Records (FamilySearch Historical Records) Learn More page.
Return to the Kentucky Probate Records, 1727-1990 collection at FamilySearch.org.
- This page was last modified on 30 June 2014, at 21:05.
- This page has been accessed 863 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki