Kimpton, HampshireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Kimpton, Hampshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Andover PLU|
|Parish registers: 1589|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1708|
|Probate Court||Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and Archdeaconry of Winchester|
|Location of Archive|
|Hampshire Record Office|
Kimpton is a parish in Andover district, Hants; near the boundary with Wilts, ... 6 miles W by N of Andover. It contains the hamlet of Shoddesden, and has a post office under Andover. ... The church is old, with a recent tower; and has been repaired..
The name is derived from an Old English personal name, "Cȳma" and means a farmstead associated with a man called Cȳma. It appears in the Domesday Book (1086) as "Chementune". There is a place in Hertfordshire with the same name.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Kimpton, Hampshire parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FMP = FindMyPast - (£)|
|PRTS = The Parish Register Transcription Society - (£)|
|KIMPTON PARISH Online Records|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 288791.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Hampshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it.|
Notes and references
- ↑ Wilson, John W., Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, (1870-72). Date accessed 11 June 2013.
- ↑ "Kimpton" in A. D. Mills, A Dictionary of British Place Names; (1st rev ed., Oxford University Press, 2011) eISBN: 9780191739446 accessed 31 May 2013.
- ↑ 'Over 1.4 million new Hampshire parish records published', Find My Past, accessed 3 October 2013. Date ranges are not clearly identified.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - Coverage', The Parish Register Transcription Society, accessed 30 September 2013.
- This page was last modified on 4 November 2014, at 22:24.
- This page has been accessed 1,136 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page