Kirkby in Ashfield, NottinghamshireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
KIRKBY-IN-ASHFIELD, a village and a parish in Basford district, Notts. The village stands 1 mile W of Kirkby r. station, 1½ E of the boundary with Derbyshire, and 5 SW of Mansfield; is a large place; and has. a post office, of the name of Kirkby, under Mansfield. The parish includes also the village of Kirkby-Folly and the hamlet of Kirkby-Woodhouse. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans.
Kirkby in Ashfield St Wilfrid is an Ancient parish in the town which included Kirkby Woodhouse and Kirkby Folly in the parish boundary.
The parish boundary forms part of the county boundary with its neighbour Pinxton, Derbyshire.
The church of St Wilfrid is 13th century in origin but was rebuilt in 1908 after destruction by fire in 1907 and has been designated a grade II listed building by English Heritage British listed building It is also known locally as St Luke. see also St Wilfrid Wikipedia Southwell and Nottingham Church History Project have researched the history of the church and parish Kirkby-in-Ashfield St Wilfrid
From this parish was formed the parish of Kirkby Woodhouse St John see St John the Evangelist Wikipedia
From this parish was formed the Ecclesisatical parish of [Eat Kirkby] Kirkby in Ashfield St Thomas built in 1903.
See also Kirkby-in-Ashfield Wikipedia
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
This area was from 1837 part of the Basford registration district
Kirkby in Ashfield St Wilfrid parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|PALL = Pallot's Marriage Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|KIRKBY IN ASHFIELD PARISH Online Records|
Deposited records at Nottinghamshire Archives Baptisms 1621-1962 Marriages 1621-1963 Burials 1621-1950
Kirkby Woodhouse St John
Deposited records at Nottinghamshire Archives Baptisms 1860-1931 Marriages 1901-1947 Burials 1861-1911
Kirkby in Ashfield (East) St Thomas
Deposited records at Nottinghamshire Archives Baptisms 1893-1952 Marriages 1903-1958
Kirkby in Ashfield (East) St Andrew
Deposited records at Nottinghamshire Archives Baptisms 1922-1960 Marriages 1935-1961
Nottinghamshire County Council
NG2 7QP telephone: 08449 808080 online
Link to the Family History Library Catalogue showing the film numbers in their collection Kirkby in Ashfield
Census records from 1841-1891 are available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438905. To view these census images online, they are available through the following websites for a fee ($) or free:
- FamilySearch has some of the British Censuses available.
- FindMyPast ($) has all available census records including images, and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and some public and academic libraries.
- Ancestry.co.uk ($) has now all available census records but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and at numerous public and academic libraries. The library versions are known as AncestryInstitution.com.
- The Genealogist.co.uk ($) has all available censuses and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- FreeCen is a UK census searches. It is not complete and individuals are always asked to consider helping out with transcriptions.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Nottinghamshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above..
- This page was last modified on 7 December 2013, at 20:12.
- This page has been accessed 737 times.