Klamath Indian Agency (California)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Indian Tribes Associated With This Agency
The Klamath Agency was established in 1856 and was responsible for the Indians of northern California, particularly those near the mouth of the Klamath River. This agency also had some responsibility for the Hoopa Valley and Smith River Indians, as well as some of the other Indians of northern California. The Indians served by the Klamath Agency were assigned to the Northern District when the agencies were discontinued in 1860. Most of the Klamath Indians served by this agency were leter associated with the Hoopa Valley Agency.
The Klamath Agency in Oregon is an entirely different agency and should not be confused with the one in California.
Agents and Appointment Dates
James A. Patterson April 18, 1856, H.P. Heintzleman (subagent) June 29, 1857 and David E. Buel May 18, 1858 
Some historical records of this agency, including correspondence, etc., are part of the records of the California Superintendency records.
- ↑ Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974, p. 21.
- ↑ The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. By Edward E. Hill. Clearwater Publishing Co., New York, NY ©1974. FHL Book 970.1 H551o
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online
- This page was last modified on 3 January 2013, at 14:41.
- This page has been accessed 547 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More