Laclede County, MissouriEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Laclede County Missouri genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Laclede County, Missouri|
Location of Missouri in the U.S.
|Founded||February 24, 1849|
|Address|| Laclede County Courthouse|
200 N Adams Avenue
Lebanon, MO 65536
Laclede County Website
County recorder has marriage records;
Clerk Circuit Court has divorce and court
records; Probate Judge has probate records;
County Assessor has land records
For animated maps illustrating Missouri county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Missouri County Boundary Maps" (1804-1889) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Missouri counties see: Missouri Counties with Burned Courthouses
- The State Historical Society of Missouri has information on historical Missouri place names for all 114 Missouri Counties.
- Family Biographies from The History of Laclede County, Missouri (1889) published by Goodspeed are available free on the My Genealogy Hound website.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Missouri denominations, view the Missouri Church Records wiki page.
St. Francis de Sales, Lebanon
- 1870-1876 - St. Francis de Sales, Lebanon, Baptism Index 1870-1876. Batch C511821 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1870-1876 - St. Francis de Sales, Lebanon, Marriage Index 1870-1876. Batch M511821 at FamilySearch - free.
Civil Court cases in Laclede County, Missouri from 1993-1996. Click on the PDF file to see the cases.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Missouri Land and Property for information about records of land transfers from the government to private ownership. After that transfer, transactions were usually recorded and are currently housed at the county courthouse.
Local histories are available for Laclede County, Missouri. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the Wiki page section Missouri Local Histories.
- Biographies from The History of Laclede County, Missouri (1889) published by Goodspeed are available free on the My Genealogy Hound website.
- The University of Missouri Digital Library has digital copies of Missouri county plat books (ca. 1930) for all Missouri counties including Laclede County. The city of St. Louis is not included in this collection.
- Map of 1886 Laclede County with numerous small settlements (My Genealogy Hound)
- - 16th Regiment, Missouri Cavalry (Union), Company L
- - 24th Regiment, Missouri Infantry (Union), Company D
- - 8th Regiment, Missouri Cavalry (Union), Company B
- - 14th Regiment, Missouri Cavalry (Union), Company H
- - 6th Regiment, Missouri Cavalry (Union), Company A
- - 7th Regiment, Missouri Cavalry (Union), Company K
- - 7th Regiment, Missouri Cavalry (Union), Company L
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Laclede County, Missouri newspapers in online catalogs like:
In Missouri, probate records have usually been recorded by the clerks of the probate courts, but in some counties the common pleas or circuit courts handled this function. They are frequently indexed.
Laclede County Will Transcriptions 1869-1978
Laclede County Probate names from 1849 ---
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Missouri Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths. For additional guidance on researching and using vital records, see United States Vital Records or How to order Missouri Vital Records.
St. Louis and Kansas City recorded births and deaths starting as early as 1850 for deaths and 1870 for births. The Missouri Department of Health began keeping birth and death records in 1909. County records vary by year and the county. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Missouri Vital Records State Department of Health, the County Clerk's office or order electronically online.
- 1849-1885 - Laclede County Marriage Books A thru C Index 1849-1885. Batch M515291 at FamilySearch - free.
- Missouri State Archives provides on-line access to Missouri Death Certificates more than 50 yrs old starting in 1910.
- Palmer Funeral Home 1919-1926
- Palmer Funeral Home 1926-1934
- Colonial Funeral Home 1955-1990
- Colonial/Shadel Funeral Home 1970-1973
Genealogy Societies, Archives and Libraries
Family History Centers
Centers provide: • Personal one-on-one assistance • Access to genealogical records through the Internet or microfilm loan program • Free how-to classes (varies by location). See Family History Centers for more information.
Check back often with these websites. Internet offerings are growing at record rates.
Local societies and libraries may know of other websites.
Sites with online indexes or images of records Missouri Digital Heritage Free digital images of many types of records from institutions across the State MOGenWeb Free Data may be submitted by individuals or complete transcriptions USGenWeb Archives Free Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions Sites that search for links pertaining to Laclede County, Missouri RootsWeb resources Free Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions Linkpendium Free Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($) CyndisList Free Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($) StateofUS Free family history resources and government records Major catalogs for hard copy collections of Laclede County, Missouri
Books, microfilm, or manuscripts of genealogical records
FamilySearch catalog Select topics. To select towns, add a comma to the search box. WorldCat To find nearby libraries that have specific items, see WorldCat Online Catalog. Allen County Public Library located in Indiana They are heavily involved in digitizing. Missouri State Archives Library catalog; from this page you must search "Laclede County" See also local libraries and Missouri Archives and Libraries
Social networking sites pertaining to Laclede County, Missouri Google+ Missouri Genealogy Network Community list of groups from "Missouri Genealogy" search genealogy.com Laclede County, MO Genealogy Forum ancestry.com Laclede County Message Board
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Laclede County, Missouri. Page 401 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/d/d8/Igimissourij.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 26 June 2014, at 21:13.
- This page has been accessed 7,989 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki