Laclede County, Missouri GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Laclede County, Missouri ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Laclede County, Missouri|
Location of Missouri in the U.S.
|Founded||February 24, 1849|
|Address|| Laclede County Courthouse|
200 N Adams Avenue
Lebanon, MO 65536
Laclede County Website
Laclede County, Missouri Record Dates
County recorder has marriage records;
Clerk Circuit Court has divorce and court
records; Probate Judge has probate records;
County Assessor has land records
For animated maps illustrating Missouri county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Missouri County Boundary Maps" (1804-1889) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Missouri counties see: Missouri Counties with Burned Courthouses
Town/city records in the FamilySearch Catalog
- The State Historical Society of Missouri has information on historical Missouri place names for all 114 Missouri Counties.
- Family Biographies from The History of Laclede County, Missouri (1889) published by Goodspeed are available free on the My Genealogy Hound website.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Missouri denominations, view the Missouri Church Records wiki page.
St. Francis de Sales, Lebanon
- 1870-1876 - St. Francis de Sales, Lebanon, Baptism Index 1870-1876. Batch C511821 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1870-1876 - St. Francis de Sales, Lebanon, Marriage Index 1870-1876. Batch M511821 at FamilySearch - free.
Civil Court cases in Laclede County, Missouri from 1993-1996. Click on the PDF file to see the cases.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Missouri Land and Property for information about records of land transfers from the government to private ownership. After that transfer, transactions were usually recorded and are currently housed at the county courthouse.
Local histories are available for Laclede County, Missouri Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the Wiki page section Missouri Local Histories.
- Biographies from The History of Laclede County, Missouri (1889) published by Goodspeed are available free on the My Genealogy Hound website.
- The University of Missouri Digital Library has digital copies of Missouri county plat books (ca. 1930) for all Missouri counties including Laclede County. The city of St. Louis is not included in this collection.
- Map of 1886 Laclede County with numerous small settlements (My Genealogy Hound)
- - 16th Regiment, Missouri Cavalry (Union), Company L
- - 24th Regiment, Missouri Infantry (Union), Company D
- - 8th Regiment, Missouri Cavalry (Union), Company B
- - 14th Regiment, Missouri Cavalry (Union), Company H
- - 6th Regiment, Missouri Cavalry (Union), Company A
- - 7th Regiment, Missouri Cavalry (Union), Company K
- - 7th Regiment, Missouri Cavalry (Union), Company L
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Laclede County, Missouri Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
In Missouri, probate records have usually been recorded by the clerks of the probate courts, but in some counties the common pleas or circuit courts handled this function. They are frequently indexed.
Laclede County Will Transcriptions 1869-1978
Laclede County Probate names from 1849 ---
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Missouri Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths. For additional guidance on researching and using vital records, see United States Vital Records or How to order Missouri Vital Records.
St. Louis and Kansas City recorded births and deaths starting as early as 1850 for deaths and 1870 for births. The Missouri Department of Health began keeping birth and death records in 1909. County records vary by year and the county. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Missouri Vital Records State Department of Health, the County Clerk's office or order electronically online.
- 1827 - 1935 Missouri, Births and Christenings, 1827-1935 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1851 - 1910 Missouri Birth Records, 1851-1910 at Ancestry.com — index/images $
- 1883-1922 - Laclede County Birth Index 1883-1922. Batch C515292 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1849-1885 - Laclede County Marriage Books A thru C Index 1849-1885. Batch M515291 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1867 - 1976 Missouri, Deaths and Burials, 1867-1976 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1834 - 1910 Missouri, Death Records, 1834-1910 at Ancestry.com — index/images $
- Missouri State Archives provides on-line access to Missouri Death Certificates more than 50 yrs old starting in 1910.
- Palmer Funeral Home 1919-1926
- Palmer Funeral Home 1926-1934
- Colonial Funeral Home 1955-1990
- Colonial/Shadel Funeral Home 1970-1973
Genealogy Societies, Archives and Libraries
- Laclede County Genealogical Society,
P.O. Box 350,
Lebanon, MO 65536
- Laclede County Historical Society,
P.O. Box 1341,
Lebanon, MO 65536
The Laclede County Historical Society meets the fourth Monday of each month at 6:30 p.m. at the Ploger-Moneymaker house located at 291 Harwood Avenue in Lebanon, Mo.
Family History Centers
- Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Centers for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
| Check back often with these websites. Internet offerings are growing at record rates.
Local societies and libraries may know of other websites.
|Missouri Digital Heritage||Free||digital images of many types of records from institutions across the State|
|MOGenWeb||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or complete transcriptions|
|USGenWeb Archives||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions|
|RootsWeb resources||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions|
|Linkpendium||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|CyndisList||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|StateofUS||Free||family history resources and government records|
Books, microfilm, or manuscripts of genealogical records
|FamilySearch catalog||Select topics. To select towns, add a comma to the search box.|
|WorldCat||To find nearby libraries that have specific items, see WorldCat Online Catalog.|
|Allen County Public Library||located in Indiana They are heavily involved in digitizing.|
|Missouri State Archives Library||catalog; from this page you must search "Laclede County"|
|Google+||Missouri Genealogy Network Community|
|list of groups from "Missouri Genealogy" search|
|genealogy.com||Laclede County, MO Genealogy Forum|
|ancestry.com||Laclede County Message Board|
- ↑ Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 422-438. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Laclede County, Missouri. Page 401 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/d/d8/Igimissourij.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 28 August 2015, at 03:13.
- This page has been accessed 11,802 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News