Ladock, Cornwall GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Ladock, Cornwall ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Ladock St Ladoca Church
|Poor Law Union||Truro PLU|
|Parish registers: 1662|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1609|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall|
|Location of Archive|
|Cornwall Record Office|
LADOCK (St. Ladoca), a parish, in the union of Truro, E. division of the hundred of Powder and of the county of Cornwall, 7 miles (N. E.) from Truro. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Ladock St Ladoca is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cornwall.Other places in the parish include: Besock, Grampound Road, and New Mills.
The parish church of St Ladoca has a fine west tower built of granite blocks. The north side of the church is 13th century in date while the south aisle is 15th century and the chancel was much altered by G. E. Street in 1862-1864. Interesting features include the carved base of the rood screen and the font of Catacleuse stone. The feast traditionally celebrated in the parish is held on the Sunday after the first Thursday in January
Births, marriages and deaths were kept by the government from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is Free BMD.
Ladock, Cornwall Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Ladock, Cornwall Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Images of parish registers are available online at FamilySearch Images refer to Cornwall Record Office reference: P 103
Cornwall Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource is the Cornwall Online Parish Clerks page for the parish.
The history, registers and much more have been contributed by the Online Parish clerk for Ladock.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241267.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cornwall Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
There are many maps and gazetteers showing English places. Vauluable web sites are:
- England Jurisdictions 1851
- Vision of Britain
Ladock in GENUKI
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 1-6. Date accessed: 18 March 2013
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Coverage by Parish,' Cornwall Online Parish Clerks, accessed 2 December 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Baptisms', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Marriages', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Burials', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 18 November 2013.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Cornwall, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 22 November 2013.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Parish Records,' TheGenealogist, accessed 20 May 2014.
- This page was last modified on 3 February 2015, at 20:44.
- This page has been accessed 2,040 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More