Lamberhurst, KentEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Lamberhurst, Kent family history and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Lamberhurst St Mary the Virgin Kent
|Hundred||Brenchley and Horsemonden; Loxfield-Pelham|
|Poor Law Union||Ticehurst PLU|
|Parish registers: 1564|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1716|
|Probate Court||Courts of the Bishop (Episcopal Consistory) and Archdeaconry of Rochester; Court of the Bishop of Chichester for the Archdeaconry of Lewes|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent Record Office|
LAMBERHURST (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Ticehurst, partly in the hundred of Brenchley and Horsemonden, lathe of Aylesford, W. division of Kent, but chiefly in the hundred of Loxfield-Camden, rape of Pevensey, E. division of Sussex, 15 miles (S. W. by S.) from Maidstone.
Lamberhurst is a village and civil parish in the Tunbridge Wells district of Kent Lamberhurst Wikipedia
Lamberhurst St Mary the Virgin is an Ancient Parish which included Scotney Manor in the parish boundary. See Scotney Castle Wikipedia
The village and civil parish of Lamberhurst was in both counties of Kent and Sussex until the line of the county boundary was adjusted in the Local Government Act 1894 which required that parish boundaries be aligned with county boundaries and thus Lamberhurst became wholly in Kent.A map of the parish boundary is available at A church near you
The church is mediaeval and date sfrom the 14th/15th century and has been restored in subsequent centuries notably in 1870 by Ewan Christian who rebuilt the chancel and chapel and interior furnishing.
The church of St Mary Church Road Lamberhurst has been designated as a grade I listed building and includes several listed monuments in the graveyard British listed building
See Lamberhurst North West Kent Family History Society which includes information about other places of worship and Lamberhurst St Mary
The Strict Baptist chapel which dates from 1816 has been designated as a grade II listed building British listed building
Kent County Council (KCC) has a certificate centre at the Mansion House in Tunbridge Wells which holds all the completed registers for Kent since 1 July 1837 and can supply a certified copy of any Kent birth, death or marriage entry from any register within its custody or a Kent civil partnership registration from the government online database.
The Mansion House
Grove Hill Road
Kent TN1 1EP
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
For civil registration history see Ticehurst registration district
Lamberhurst, Kent parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Lamberhurst, Kent Parish Online Records|
|FS PRs||1563-1844||1563-1717, 1813-1837; 1755-1885 (banns)||1563-1868|
Images for Lamberhurst available at FamilySearch Records see England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments (FamilySearch Historical Records) 1780-1832
FamilySearch Records includes collections of census indexes which can be searched online for free. In addition FamilySearch Centres offer free access to images of the England and Wales Census through FHC Portal Computers here have access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
 to locate local Family History Centres in UK
 to locate outside UK.
Many archives and local history collections in public libraries in England and Wales offer online census searches and also hold microfilm or fiche census returns.
Images of the census for 1841-1891 can be viewed in census collections at Ancestry (fee payable) or Find My Past (fee payable)
The 1851 census of England and Wales attempted to identify religious places of worship in addition to the household survey census returns.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Local Family History Centre
- FHC Portal This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Publication of the restricted access images England, Kent, Wills and Probate (FamilySearch Historical Records) and England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments (FamilySearch Historical Records) means that it is advisable to telephone the centre to reserve a computer if you wish to view these
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 1-6. Date accessed: 30 September 2013
- ↑ 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 7 November 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Kent Parish registers collection 1538 on Familyrelatives.com,' Family Relatives, accessed 12 March 2012. Derived from Phillimore Marriage Indexes.
- ↑ 'England, Kent, Bishop's Transcripts, 1560-1911,' FamilySearch, accessed 11 November 2013.
- ↑ 'England, Kent, Parish Registers, 1538-1911,' FamilySearch, accessed 13 November 2013.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Kent, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 15 November 2013.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- This page was last modified on 8 July 2014, at 18:18.
- This page has been accessed 2,180 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki