Lammas with Little Hautbois, NorfolkEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Lammas with Little Hautbois, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Lammas with Little Hautbois, Norfolk|
|Poor Law Union||Aylsham PLU|
|Parish registers: 1538|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1600|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norwich|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
LAMMAS (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Aylsham, hundred of South Erpingham, E. division of Norfolk, 3 miles (N. W. by N.) from Coltishall; containing, with the merged parish of Little Hautbois. There is a place of worship for the Society of Friends. 
Lammas with Little Hautbois St Andrew is an Ancient parish in the diocese of Norwich. The church contains a memorial spelt "Hobbis" and this indicates local pronunciation of the place.
Lammas (also spelled Lamas) is a village in Broadland, Norfolk, England. Administratively it falls within the civil parish of Buxton with Lammas, for local government purposes part of the Broadland district.
Lammas is separated by the River Bure from the larger village of Buxton, and where the two meet is Buxton Mill. The two otherwise run into each other and appear to be the same village.
Although Lammas is the smaller of the two places, it is historically a parish in its own right, and for centuries had its own Rector. Lammas has been united with the neighbouring hamlet of Little Hautbois since the 15th century.
The church replaced an early Saxon church on the site and still contains evidence of that building within it's walls. The chancel and nave are from different periods and the chancel slants away from the nave possibly due to the marshy ground. The chancel was a nineteenth century addition to the older structure.
The village's two main roads are called The Street and Scottow Road (which is the continuation of The Street leading to RAF Coltishall)
The writer Anna Sewell is buried in the graveyard of the old Quaker Meeting-House on The Street. The meeting house itself has now been converted into a house, but Anna Sewell's gravestone is set in a wall fronting the Street. The other stones commemorate local benefactors John Wright and Phillip Sewell, of Dudwick Park, Buxton. The burial ground was partially destroyed in 1984, when a large part was bulldozed without permission.
William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk, 1845 says of Lammas:
“ LAMMAS, a pleasant village on the east bank of the Bure, 4 miles (6.4 km) S.E. of Aylsham, has in its parish 257 souls, and about 500 acres (2.0 km2) of land, exclusive of Little Hautboys, which is united with it. They contain together 299 souls, and 829 acres (3.35 km2). Lammas is mostly the property of Sir John Lubbock and the Rev. W. H. Marsh, sen., the latter of whom is lord of the manor, and patron of the consolidated rectories of Lammas and Little Hautboys, valued in the King's Book at £7, and enjoyed by the Rev. W. H. Marsh, jun., of Erpingham. The glebe is 36A., and the tithes were commuted in 1840 for £240 per annum. The CHURCH (St. Andrew,) has a low embattled tower, with four bells. Near the west end of the village is an ancient Quakers' Meeting House, with a small burial ground. The Church Land is one acre. "
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Lammas with Little Hautbois, Norfolk parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|LAMMAS PARISH (1539) Online Records|
Norfolk Record Office Parish Records of Lammas with Little Hautbois reference PD 170
Parish registers of Lammas with Little Hautbois, 1539-1913 Microfilm copies of original records in the Norfolk Record Office, Central Library, Norwich, Norfolk, England.
Baptisms, marriages & burials, 1539-1723; Baptisms & burials, 1723-1776; Marriages, 1728-1754; Baptisms & burials, 1777-1812; Baptisms, 1813-1910; Marriages & banns, 1754-1813; Marriages, 1813-1837; Marriages, 1837-1901; Banns, 1823-1913. FHL BRITISH Film 1596232 Items 23 - 30
Archdeacons transcripts of Lammas with Little Hautbois, 1600-1812
Baptisms, 1600-1610, 1623-1633, 1666-1812; Marriages, 1600-1610, 1629-1633, 1707-1811; Burials, 1600-1610, 1623-1633, 1666-1811. FHL BRITISH Film 1526780 Item 9
Churchwardens' accounts and rates of Lammas with Little Hautbois, 1777-1898
Microreproduction of original records at the Norfolk Record Office, Norwich.
Norfolk Record Office nos.: PD170/33-34.
Rates, which are taxes, are determined by property valuation, therefore church and poor rates list owners and occupiers of properties. In some cases, they are listed alphabetically by surname.
Parish chest materials which are identified in these records as churchwardens' accounts and/or vestry minutes, can contain a variety of records including accounts, minutes, lists of parish officers, church and/or poor rates, payments made to the poor, lists of charities, donors to special collections, terriers (identification of parish boundaries and properties), description of church silver or plate, copies of wills and various other records pertaining to the history and life of the parish.
Churchwardens' accounts and rates, 1777-1898. FHL BRITISH Film 2149617 Items 13 - 14
|LITTLE HAUTBOIS PARISH Online Records|
Church records, Lammas Monthly Meeting, 1775-1861
Microfilm copy of original in the Norfolk Record Office, Norfolk, England.
Norfolk Record Office Central Library call no.: SF 196-198, 411.
The parishes of Lammas and Little Hautbois were combined in 1481.
Many of the people in this Meeting were from North Walsham and Yarmouth, and the name of the meeting was eventually changed to Yarmouth Monthly Meeting.
Marriages, 1775-1792; Births, 1776-1794; Burials, 1783-1792, 1839, 1853-1861. FHL BRITISH Film 1951300 Items 9 - 12
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438854.
Poor Law Unions
Poor Law records of Lammas with Little Hautbois, 1697-1832 Microfilm copy of original records in the Norfolk Record Office, Norwich, England.
Norfolk Record Office no.: PD 170/41-47
Settlement certificates, 1697-1817; Settlement examinations, 1741-1817; Removal orders, 1743-1843; Apprenticeship indentures, 1713, 1751; Bastardy bonds, 1746-1803; Bastardy orders, 1778-1832; Bastardy examinations, 1805, 1820. FHL BRITISH Film 1702419 Items 10 - 16
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 6-17. Date accessed: 16 April 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 26 February 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Norfolk, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 20 March 2014.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 10 February 2014.
- ↑ Norfolk Transcription Archive, accessed 15 April 2014.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - Coverage', The Parish Register Transcription Society, accessed 7 October 2013.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Baptism Project 1813 to 1880,' Tinstaafl Transcripts, accessed 10 April 2014.
- This page was last modified on 15 November 2014, at 21:47.
- This page has been accessed 1,923 times.