Las Animas County, Colorado, Place Names A-EEdit This Page

From FamilySearch Wiki

A-E

ABEYTA -

AGUILAR -

ANDRIX -

BARELA -

BERWIND

BESHOER -

BONCARBO -

BRANSON -

CHIMAYOSES -  Now known as Jansen. On Colorado 12 , est. c.1900. Probably named for Jansen's Quarry, which apparently became a settlement and station on the Santa Fe Railway and the Colorado and Southern Railroad.

COKEDALE -

CORDOVA PLAZA -

DEL AGUA -

DELHI -

EARL -

EL MORO -
ENGLEVILLE -



F-K

GRINELL - Now called TRINCHERA - Est c.1873. Spanish for "trench or entrenchment" It was given to the village because ofa gap or pass through a nearby mesa. Also known as San Jose.

GULNARE -

GUTIERREZ VALLEY - Now known as STONEWALL - On Colorado 12 est. 1867. The first resident was Juan Gutierrez, who built a cabin here in 1867 and began grazing his cattle. For a time the valley was known in Spanish as "El Valle de Guitierrez" or "Gutierrez's Valley". James Stoner homestead was somewhat to the west; and because of a rock formation on his place, the region was known as "Stoner's Wall". When the settlement needed a post office in 1878, the name became Stonewall.

HOEHNE -

HOUGHTON -

JANSEN - On Colorado 12 , est. c.1900. Probably named for Jansen's Quarry, which apparently became a settlement and station on the Santa Fe Railway and the Colorado and Southern Railroad. Previously known as Chimayoses.
KIM - town on US 160 est. 1918. Names for the boy hero of Rudyard Kipling's novel "Kim".




L-P

LORENCITO CANYON - Spanish for Lawrence.  

LUDLOW - Perhaps named for Ludlow, Massachusetts, which in turn was named fora town in England. The Colorado sitte is infamous for the "Ludlow Massacre" of 1914., when city and tate militia were called to suppress a coal miners strike.

LYNN -

MEDINA PLAZA -

MODEL -  On US 350 est. c.1900. First called Poso, from the spanish "pozo" or "well". Then changed to Roby. The name was changed again in 1920, when plans were made to develop the community as a "model town" with its own irrigation district and platted townsite.

MONUMENT PARK -

MORLEY -

PARRAS PLAZA -

PATTERSON CROSSING -

PINON CANYON - From Spanish "pinon" or "pine nut", refering to the pinon pine and its delicious seeds.

PRIMERO -



Q-Z

REILLY CANYON -  

REZAGO - From the Spanish word meaning "remainder or residue"

RIO DE LAS ANIMAS - Now known as TRINIDAD - On US 85,87 and 160. Established in 1859, County seat of Las Animas County. Its original name, when the first cabin was built by Gabriel and Juan N Gutierrez, was Rio de las Animas "River of the souls". It then became a favorite rendezvous for early trappers, traders and travelers and was called "Santisima Trinidad" or " most holy trinity".

RUGBY -

SAN JOSE - Now called TRINCHERA - Est c.1873. Spanish for "trench or entrenchment" It was given to the village because ofa gap or pass through a nearby mesa. Also called Grinell

SAN MIGUEL -

SAN PEDRO - now called Starkville,  on US 85 and 87 est. 1879. The first coal mine in the area was opened here about 1879 by H.G. Stark, and was known as the Starkville Mine. The settlement, originally called San Pedro, was then renamed in honor of Stark.

SANTISIMA TRINIDAD - Now known as TRINIDAD - On US 85,87 and 160. Established in 1859, County seat of Las Animas County. Its original name, when the first cabin was built by Gabriel and Juan N Gutierrez, was Rio de las Animas "River of the souls". It then became a favorite rendezvous for early trappers, traders and travelers and was called "Santisima Trinidad" or " most holy trinity".

SEGUNDO - Est c.1901, when the Colorado Fuel and Iron Company bought large holdings in this region and began coal production, it names each coal mine camp by number as it was opened. "Segundo" the Spanish word for "second", was the second camp founded.

SIMPSON -

SOPRIS -  Named for General E.B. Sopris of the Colorado Militia. He also owned much of the coal land in the area.

SPANISH PEAKS - between Las Animas and Huerfano counties. West Spanish Peak is 13,626 feet high and, East Spanish Peak is 12,683 feet.

STARKVILLE - on US 85 and 87 est. 1879. The first coal mine in the area was opened here about 1879 by H.G. Stark, and was known as the Starkville Mine. The settlement, originally called San Pedro, was the renamed in honor of Stark.

STONEWALL - On Colorado 12 est. 1867. The first resident was Juan Gutierrez, who built a cabin here in 1867 and began grazing his cattle. For a time the valley was known in Spanish as "El Valle de Guitierrez" or "Gutierrez's Valley". James Stoner homestead was somewhat to the west; and because of a rock formation on his place, the region was known as "Stoner's Wall". When the settlement needed a post office in 1878, the name became Stonewall.

STONEWALL GAP -

TABACO -

TERCIO -

THATCHER -

TIJERAS - On Colorado 12. Spanish for "scissors", also a Spanish surname.

TOBE -

TORRES -

TRINCHERA - Est c.1873. Spanish for "trench or entrenchment" It was given to the village because ofa gap or pass through a nearby mesa. Earlier it was known as San Jose and Grinell.

TRINIDAD -  On  US 85,87 and 160. Established in 1859, County seat of Las Animas County. Its original name, when the first cabin was built by Gabriel and Juan N Gutierrez, was Rio de las Animas "River of the souls". It then became a favorite rendezvous for early trappers, traders and travelers and was called "Santisima Trinidad" or " most holy trinity".

TROY - Named for the ancient site of the Trojan War, as described in Homer's Iliad.

TYRONE -  On Colorado 350. Post office est.1916. Founded as Yetta, and changed in 1929.

VACHITA CREEK - An adaptation of "Bachicha" a Spanish surname.

VALDEZ - Named for Gabriel Valdez, who homesteaded there about 1900.

VALLE DE GUTIERREZ - Now called STONEWALL - On Colorado 12 est. 1867. The first resident was Juan Gutierrez, who built a cabin here in 1867 and began grazing his cattle. For a time the valley was known in Spanish as "El Valle de Guitierrez" or "Gutierrez's Valley". James Stoner homestead was somewhat to the west; and because of a rock formation on his place, the region was known as "Stoner's Wall". When the settlement needed a post office in 1878, the name became Stonewall.

VALLORSO -  Perhaps from Italian Vall'Orso or "Bear Valley"

VELASQUEZ PLAZA -

VIGIL -

VILLEGREEN -

WALTS CORNER -  

WESTON -

YETTA - Now called TYRONE - On Colorado 350. Post office est.1916. Founded as Yetta, and changed in 1929.

ZAMARA -


 

Need additional research help? Contact our research help specialists.

Need wiki, indexing, or website help? Contact our product teams.


Did you find this article helpful?

You're invited to explain your rating on the discussion page (you must be signed in).

  • This page was last modified on 7 October 2010, at 14:37.
  • This page has been accessed 552 times.