Lawrence County, ArkansasEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Lawrence County Arkansas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Lawrence County, Arkansas|
Location in the state of Arkansas
Location of Arkansas in the U.S.
|Founded||January 15, 1815|
|Address|| Lawrence County Courthouse|
PO Box 553, 315 W Main;
Walnut Ridge, AR 72476
- 1815--Lawrence County was created 15 January 1815 from New Madrid County, Missouri.
County seat: Walnut Ridge 
See an interactive map of Lawrence County boundary changes.
- Lawrence County Cemeteries Lawrence County ARGenWeb
- Lawrence County Cemeteries Find A Grave
- Lawrence County Cemeteries Nancy's Lawrence County Corner
1820 is missing
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Arkansas denominations, view the Arkansas Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Arkansas Land and Property for additional information about early Arkansas land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
http://files.usgwarchives.net//ar/lawrence/land/lawrence.txt Lawrence County Federal Land Records] USGenWeb Archives
Local histories are available for Lawrence County, Arkansas. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see Arkansas Local Histories.
- Early Lawrence County History Nancy's Lawrence County Corner
- Settlement of Lawrence County and Powhatan 1803-1890 Arkansas Historic Preservation Program
- Arkansas Territorial Papers Part 1 USGenWeb Archives
- Arkansas Territorial Papers Part 2 USGenWeb Archives
- Arkansas Territorial Papers Part 3 USGenWeb Archives
- Arkansas Territorial Papers Part 4 USGenWeb Archives
- Arkansas Territorial Papers Part 5 USGenWeb Archives
- Family Maps of Lawrence County, Arkansas (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital version at Google Books. 1967 reprint: FHL Collection 973 X2pc 1840. [See Arkansas, Lawrence County on page 191.]
- Edward Gerdes' Arkansas Civil War Rosters
- Men from this county served in the 7th Regiment, Arkansas Infantry, 3rd Regiment, Arkansas Cavalry (Union), 45th Regiment, Arkansas Cavalry, and the 1st Regiment, Arkansas Mounted Rifles (Confederate).
Finding More Arkansas Newspapers
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Lawrence County, Arkansas newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records of Arkansas have been kept by the probate or county courts. You can obtain copies of the original records by contacting the clerk's office in the county courthouse.
The Family History Library has microfilm copies of many Arkansas probate records. See Arkansas Probate Records for more information about Probate records in Arkansas, including statewide indexes.
Arkansas tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years for some counties. For more information see Arkansas Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Arkansas Vital Records State Department of Health or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also Arkansas Vital Records Online and Arkansas Statewide Indexes and Collections at the Family History Library.
- 1821-1967 - Lawrence County Marriage Index (1821-1901), Western District Index (1901-1967), Eastern District Index (1904-1944) in Arkansas, County Marriages, 1837-1957 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1821-1926 - Lawrence County Marriage Index 1821-1926 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
- Lawrence County Arkansas Marriages Lawrence County ARGenWeb
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Lawrence County Arkansas ARGenWeb
- Family History Library Catalog
- Lawrence County, Arkansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Lawrence County My Arkansas Genealogy
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), p. 68.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Desmond Walls Allen, The Seventh Arkansas Confederate Infantry, (Conway, Arkansas: Arkansas Research, c1988) FHL book 976.7 M22adw
- ↑ Desmond Walls Allen, Third Arkansas Union Cavalry, (Conway, Arkansas: Arkansas Research, c1987), p. 33-92. FHL book 976.7 M28dc
- ↑ Desmond Walls Allen, Forty-fifth Arkansas Confederate Calvary, (Conway, Arkansas: Arkansas Research, c1988), p. 1. FHL book 976.7 M2af
- ↑ Desmond Walls Allen, First Arkansas Confederate Mounted Rifles, (Conway, Arkansas: Arkansas Research, c1988), p. 2. FHL book 976.7 M2a
- ↑ FamilySearch Wiki contributors, "Arkansas County Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)," in FamilySearch Wiki, accessed 18 April 2013.
- ↑ Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/0/0d/Igiarkansasem.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 25 November 2013, at 20:18.
- This page has been accessed 4,735 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More