Laxfield, SuffolkEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Stradbroke : : : Wilby||Ubbeston|
LAXFIELD, a village and a parish in Hoxne district, Suffolk. The village stands near the river Blythe, 6¼ miles N of Framlingham r. station; was once a markettown; and has a post office under Wickham-Market, and fairs on 12 May and 25 October. 
|Project members: Refer to Suffolk Talk Page for details about developing this page.|
If you live in Suffolk then you will have access to a variety of resources; however, for those who live further afield, one can access microfilm and online records at Family History Centers. Refer to Laxfield and Suffolk in the FamilySearch Catalog for available records.
Civil RegistrationLaxfield was in Hoxne district till 1907 at which time it was moved into Hartismere District. In 1907 Hoxne district was abolished. To search an index of Hoxne or Hartismere district records go to FreeBMD. The Suffolk Civil Registration article tells more about these records.
The Parish Registers begin in 1579. They can be view at the Suffolk Record Office. A copy of the registers from 1579 to 1900 can be purchased from the Suffolk Record Office. For pre-1813 Bishop Transcript entries you will need to look in Hoxne Deanry, Archdeaconry of Suffolk. Parish Chest records are lacking for Laxfield. See Suffolk Church Record for further details.
Laxfield Parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials have been partly transcribed and are displayed online at the following web sites and ranges of years: The Suffolk Family History Society publishes their indexes on CD. Laxfield will be found on the CD for Hoxne deanery.
|FMP = FindMyPast.co.uk (£)||FREG = FreeReg|
|FS = FamilySearch.org||SFHS = Suffolk Family History Society|
|LAXFIELD PARISH (1579) Indexes|
|FS||1813-1871|| 1813-1837 few pre 1813
|SFHS||1813-1900||1754-1900||Suffolk Burial Index|
Laxfield, Suffolk parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|1813 = Suffolk Marriage Index (1813-37) (FindMyPast) - (£)|
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (FindMyPast) - (£)|
|NBI = National Burial Index (FindMyPast) - (£)|
|Laxfield, Suffolk Parish Online Records|
There are census records available for Laxfield from 1841 to 1911. Census records are available on a variety of subscription and other websites. If you need to consult the 1841 to 1891 census on microfilm, refer to Laxfield census film numbers in the library catalogue.
There is statistical data available for the census years 1801 to 1931 that records the number of houses, families, people, and other statistical data for every parish in the county.
Refer to the Suffolk Census wiki article for details.
Prior to 1858 the primary court that had jurisdiction over Laxfield was the Archdeaconry of Suffolk; however, a person’s will or administration may have been probated in nearby courts or even in London. After 1858 it was in Ipswich District. Refer to the Suffolk Probate Records article for further details.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Suffolk Gazetteers and Directories from 1839 to 1909 - Suffolk Gazetteers and directories provide a brief history and description of each parish and lists principal residents. They mention the farmers and tradesman in each parish and the nearest market towns among other items.
- National Gazetteers provide a brief description of each place
- England Jurisdictions 1851 maps - see parish in context with surrounding parishes also determine various ecclesiastical and civil jurisdictions for this parish
- Laxfield on Google maps - see lay of the land as it is today
- ↑ John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72). Date accessed and adapted: 23 May 2014.
- ↑ 'Suffolk Marriage Index (1813-37) Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 9 December 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 4 December 2013.
- ↑ 1870-72, John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales. Date accessed: 30 September 2013.
- This page was last modified on 18 July 2014, at 22:45.
- This page has been accessed 3,571 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki