Leeds England Family History CentreEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This Family History Centre article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
Review the instructions and guidelines for FHC pages.
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Centre, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
(Add a brief paragraph about your center here and the area it serves. Information in italics below is guidance for you and should be deleted as you fill out the page. Remove italics from other text by selecting the text and clicking the "I" box in the Toolbar above.)
Centre Contacts and Hours
Location & Map:
At the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints - Leeds 1st Ward Chapel
(No Street number is assigned to the Chapel, however if one was assigned it would be 53a)
Vesper Road, Kirkstall, Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS5 3QT
- Ample Car Parking space is available during Centre opening times
- Ramped access is available for disabled patrons
- Access is by way of the single door in the corner to the left of the front of the Chapel
- Anyone wishing to use the Centre facilities is asked to call ahead of their visit and book an hour slot or more time if this is available.
- You can find the Chapel on Google Maps here
Phone: 0113 2585297 for the Library, 07882 897209 for technical assistance
Open Hours: The Library opening hours are as follows:
- Tuesday: 10.00am to 1.00pm and 7.00pm to 9.00pm
- Wednesday: 10.00am to 2.00pm
- The Centre is closed on Bank Holidays and for 2 weeks over the Christmas period
Calendar and Events
Staff Training Meetings
- FamilySearch Catalog: This center has the ability to order any of the films and fiche available through the FamilySearch Catalog.
- The ordering of films and fiche of micro-recorded genealogical data is now done on a personal self-help basis by using an online facility, provided by the Church Family History Service. The film ordering service is here. A Centre Librarian will gladly show you how to use this service.
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Centre Portal page
- The 2 main Family History database Websites available to anyone using the Centre, which are provided to all patron to use for free, are ancestry.com and findmypast.co.uk.
- The Churches own familysearch.org Website is available to everyone for research and non-church members can register to use the Website and acquire the use of the 'Familytree' online personal family-tree building tool. The site also offers the uploading of photos and soon the uploading of documents, which in themselves can be genuine sources of family history information. For example the uploading of Birth or Marriage and Death certificates as PDF files (Portable Document Format).
- A variety of other research software tools and links to other pertinent family history Websites is available.
Hardware and Equipment
- The Leeds England Family History Centre presently has 5 computers available for anyone to use, on a booked hourly basis. The Centre also has film readers and fiche readers, which can be similarly booked to use.
Staff Research Specialties
Resources in the Local Area
(This section is to highlight other resources in your area that will be helpful for individuals doing research there in your location, if there are any, such as government offices, historical societies, etc.)
(Include links to other websites of interest to those who visit your center such as links to the city, county and state wiki pages where your center is located.)
Volunteer at the Centre
(Include information here about the volunteers you are looking for.)
- This page was last modified on 18 July 2014, at 23:59.
- This page has been accessed 997 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki