Leek, StaffordshireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Leek, Staffordshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Hundred||North Totmonslow; South Totmonslow|
|Poor Law Union||Leek PLU|
|Parish registers: 1634|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1662|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Staffordshire Record Office|
LEEK (St. Edward the Confessor), a markettown and parish, and the head of a union, partly in the S. division, but chiefly in the N. division, of the hundred of Totmonslow, N. division of the county of Stafford; comprising the townships of Bradnop, Endon, Heaton,Leek, Leek-Frith, Longsdon, Onecote, Rudyard, Rushton-James, Rushton-Spencer, Stanley, and Tittisworth. There are places of worship for the Society of Friends, Independents, Primitive Methodists,and Wesleyans and there is a Roman Catholic chapel.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Leek St Edward the Confessor parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FMP = Staffordshire Parish Register Collection (findmypast) - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|FS = FamilySearch - free|
|LEEK ST EDWARD THE CONFESSOR PARISH (1633) Online Records|
|FREG||1634-1637, 1643-1662, 1668-1682, 1685-1730||
||1634-1637, 1643-1662, 1668-1682, 1685-1730||
||1634-1637, 1643-1662,1668-1707, 1813-1838|| |
Many of Staffordshire's Parish Register entries have been transcribed in full by Staffordshire Freereg and can be searched for free.
Leek St Peter parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Leek St Peter Parish Online Records|
Mount Pleasant Methodist Chapel registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|MOUNT PLEASANT METHODIST CHAPEL (1808) Online Records|
- 1532/3 - A List of Families in Leek, Staffordshire 1532/3 FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474630.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Staffordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 55-62. Date accessed: 01 November 2012.
- ↑ 'Staffordshire Parish Records Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 23 July 2014.
- ↑ 'Staffordshire Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 14 August 2014.
- ↑ 'IGI Batch Numbers for Stafford (A-M), England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 18 September 2013.
- ↑ Ann J. Kettle, A List of Families in the Archdeaconry of Stafford, 1532-3 (Stafford: Staffordshire Record Society, 1976). FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
- This page was last modified on 15 November 2014, at 21:48.
- This page has been accessed 2,160 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page