Leigh, GloucestershireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Leigh, Gloucestershire family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Tewkesbury PLU|
|Parish registers: 1560|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1599|
|Diocese||Pre 1836 - Gloucester; Post 1835 - Gloucester and Bristol|
|Probate Court||Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Gloucestershire Record Office|
LEIGH (St. James), a parish, in the union of Tewkesbury, partly in the lower division of the hundred of Westminster, but chiefly in the Lower division of that of Deerhurst, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 4 miles (W. N. W.) from Cheltenham;containing the hamlet of Evington, 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Leigh parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (FindMyPast) - (£)|
|FHSO = FHSOnline - (£)|
|FREG = FreeReg.org.uk|
|JOIN = The Joiner Marriage Index - (£)|
|PRTS = The Parish Register Transcription Society - (£)|
|LEIGH PARISH Online Records|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 288768.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Gloucestershire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis,A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 62-65. Date accessed: 08 July 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Coverage for the Gloucestershire Marriages database,' FHS Online, accessed 5 May 2014.
- ↑ 'Gloucestershire Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 18 April 2014.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - Coverage', The Parish Register Transcription Society, accessed 27 September 2013.
- This page was last modified on 14 May 2014, at 21:15.
- This page has been accessed 1,295 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki