Lezant, CornwallEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Lezant, Cornwall ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Launceston PLU|
|Parish registers: 1539|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1608|
|Probate Court||Peculiar of the Court of the Bishop of Exeter (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Cornwall Record Office|
LEZANT (St. Breock), a parish, in the union of Launceston, N. division of the hundred of East, E. division of Cornwall, 4½ miles (S. by E.) from Launceston. Here is a place of worship for Wesleyans. 
Lezant (Cornish: Lannsans) St Briochus is an Ancient Parish in the county of Cornwall.Other places in the parish include: Rezare, Trebollet, Trebullett, Trekenna, Trewarlet, and Trewarlett
Lezant parish church is dedicated to St Michael and was considerably restored in 1869. There was formerly an ancient chapel at Trecarrel (or Trecarrell) dedicated to St Mary Magdalene but it no longer exists.
Births, marriages and deaths were kept by the government from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is Free BMD.
Lezant, Cornwall parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Lezant, Cornwall Parish Online Records|
Images of parish registers are available online at FamilySearch Images refer to Cornwall Record Office reference: P 124
Cornwall Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource is the Cornwall Online Parish Clerks page for the parish.
The history, registers and much more have been contributed by the Online Parish clerk for Lezant.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241258.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cornwall Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
There are many maps and gazetteers showing English places. Valuable web sites are:
- England Jurisdictions 1851
- Vision of Britain
Lezant in GENUKI
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 78-85. Date accessed: 06 March 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Coverage by Parish,' Cornwall Online Parish Clerks, accessed 2 December 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Baptisms', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Marriages', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Burials', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Cornwall Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 18 November 2013.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Cornwall, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 21 November 2013.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Parish Records,' TheGenealogist, accessed 20 May 2014.
- This page was last modified on 15 November 2014, at 21:31.
- This page has been accessed 1,463 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page