Linn County, MissouriEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Linn County Missouri genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Linn County, Missouri|
Location of Missouri in the U.S.
|Founded||January 6, 1837|
|Address|| Linn County Courthouse|
108 N High
Linneus, MO 64653
Linn County Website
County Clerk has incomplete birth and death records 1883-1888;
County Recorder has marriage and land records from 1842;
Clerk Circuit Court has divorce records 1837; Probate Office has
probate records from 1840
See an interactive map of Linn County border changes at N2Genealogy.
- The State Historical Society of Missouri has information on historical Missouri place names for all Missouri Counties.
rootsweb has a great list of Linn County cemeteries with directions.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Missouri denominations, view the Missouri Church Records wiki page.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Missouri Land and Property for information about records of land transfers from the government to private ownership. After that transfer, transactions were usually recorded and are currently housed at the county courthouse.
Local histories are available for Linn County, Missouri. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the Wiki page section Missouri Local Histories.
The history of Linn county, Missouri: An encyclopedia of useful information (1882) is available online free.
- Family Maps of Linn County, Missouri (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- Map of Linn County townships (Histopolis)
- The University of Missouri Digital Library has digital copies of Missouri county plat books (ca. 1930) for all Missouri counties including Linn County. The city of St. Louis is not included in this collection.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Linn County, Missouri newspapers in online catalogs like:
- The Archives of The Chillicothe Constitution Tribune (1889-2009) provides free access to their newspapers online. Their newspapers covered local news that included residents from Linn County communities.
In Missouri, probate records have usually been recorded by the clerks of the probate courts, but in some counties the common pleas or circuit courts handled this function. They are frequently indexed.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Missouri Taxation.
St. Louis and Kansas City recorded births and deaths starting as early as 1850 for deaths and 1870 for births. The Missouri Department of Health began keeping birth and death records in 1909. County records vary by year and the county. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Missouri Vital Records State Department of Health or the County Clerk's office.
- 1817-1907 - Linn County Birth Index 1817-1907. Batch C515457 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1857-1885 - Linn County Birth Index, Volumes 2A and 2B, 1857-1885. Batch C515381 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875-1887 - Linn County Birth Index, Volume 1, etc., 1875-1887. Batch C515458 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1857-1885 - Linn County Marriage Books 2A and 2B Index 1857-1885. Batch M515381 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1881-1885 - Linn County Marriage Book 1 Index 1881-1885. Batch M515382 at FamilySearch - free.
- Missouri State Archives provides on-line access to Missouri Death Certificates more than 50 yrs old starting in 1910.
- 1883-1887 - Linn County Death Index 1883-1887. Batch B515458 at FamilySearch - free.
Societies and Libraries
Linn County Historical Society-Museum
303 North Livingston Street
P.O. Box 394
Brookfield, MO 64658
Phone: (660) 258-7160
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Linn County, Missouri. Page 402 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/d/d8/Igimissourij.pdf.
|This Missouri-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- This page was last modified on 25 August 2013, at 23:32.
- This page has been accessed 3,061 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More