List of District Churches and Chapels Within the Parish of St Mary WhitechapelEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Return to the Whitechapel St Mary, Middlesex page.
St Mary Whitechapel had only the three following pre-1900 churches:
- St. Mark's district church, on the Tenter Ground, was erected by the Metropolitan Church-building Society, and consecrated in May, 1839; it is a neat edifice of brick in the early English style, with a square tower surmounted by an octagonal spire, and contains 1200 sittings, of which 500 are free. The living is in the gift of Brasenose College; income, £150.
- St Paul [Dock Street] Whitechapel, an "additional church, of which the first stone was laid at Michaelmas 1845, was erected partly by Her Majesty's Commissioners; it is in the early English style, with a tower at the south-west angle, was completed in 1847, and cost £8000. This is a free church, for mariners, and dedicated to St. Paul."¹
- St Jude, Commercial St Tower Hamlets was built in the year 1845 as a district church.
From: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 543-551. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51398 Date accessed: 18 May 2010.
- This page was last modified on 25 June 2012, at 16:56.
- This page has been accessed 559 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page