Llandysilio West or Llandissilio, CarmarthenshireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
"LLANDISSILIO (LLAN-DYSILIO), a parish, in the union of NARBERTH, partly in the lower division of the hundred of DERLLYS, county of CARMARTHEN, and partly in that of DUNGLEDDY, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 6 miles (N. by E.) from Narberth, on the road to Cardigan; containing 1060 inhabitants, of whom 643 are in the Carmarthen, and 417 in the Pembroke, portion. This parish, which derives its name from the dedication of its church . . . is about five miles in length, and four in breadth, and contains by admeasurement 6467 acres, of which two-thirds are in the Camarthen portion, and one third in that of Pembroke. The soil is of a very mixed kind and various qualities, being generally poor, but with some which is good and productive interspersed in particular situations: the mountainous parts afford indifferent pasture for the small sheep that appear to be aboriginal . . . the chief agricultural product is wheat, barley, and oats; and the prevailing timber is oak, ash, sycamore, and alder. . . There are two quarries producing an indifferent quality of slate, and two corn-mills . . ." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).] For more information see Llandissilio, Carmarthenshire at genuki.org.uk
Census records from 1841-1891 are available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. To view these census images online, they are available through a number of websites for a fee ($) or free.
- FamilySearch now has all of the British Censuses available.
- FindMyPast ($) but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- Ancestry.co.uk ($) but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries. The library versions are known as AncestryInstitution.com.
- The Genealogist.co.uk ($) but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- FreeCen is a UK census searches. It is not complete and individuals are always asked to consider helping out with transcriptions.
Maps and Gazetteers
- This page was last modified on 8 May 2013, at 01:41.
- This page has been accessed 202 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki