Llandysilio West or Llandissilio, CarmarthenshireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
"LLANDISSILIO (LLAN-DYSILIO), a parish, in the union of NARBERTH, partly in the lower division of the hundred of DERLLYS, county of CARMARTHEN, and partly in that of DUNGLEDDY, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 6 miles (N. by E.) from Narberth, on the road to Cardigan; containing 1060 inhabitants, of whom 643 are in the Carmarthen, and 417 in the Pembroke, portion. This parish, which derives its name from the dedication of its church . . . is about five miles in length, and four in breadth, and contains by admeasurement 6467 acres, of which two-thirds are in the Camarthen portion, and one third in that of Pembroke. The soil is of a very mixed kind and various qualities, being generally poor, but with some which is good and productive interspersed in particular situations: the mountainous parts afford indifferent pasture for the small sheep that appear to be aboriginal . . . the chief agricultural product is wheat, barley, and oats; and the prevailing timber is oak, ash, sycamore, and alder. . . There are two quarries producing an indifferent quality of slate, and two corn-mills . . ." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).] For more information see Llandissilio, Carmarthenshire at genuki.org.uk
Census records from 1841-1891 are available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. To view these census images online, they are available through a number of websites for a fee ($) or free.
- FamilySearch now has all of the British Censuses available.
- findmypast ($) but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- Ancestry.co.uk ($) but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries. The library versions are known as AncestryInstitution.com.
- The Genealogist.co.uk ($) but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- FreeCen is a UK census searches. It is not complete and individuals are always asked to consider helping out with transcriptions.
Maps and Gazetteers
- This page was last modified on 8 May 2013, at 01:41.
- This page has been accessed 319 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More