London Court RecordsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Old Bailey Criminal Court
Records of the London Sessions are kept at the London Metropolitan Archives (LMA). Many times these official court records contain additional information, such as the criminal's place of residence (or place crime was committed) that supplement the journalistic Old Bailey Sessions. LMA has prepared information leaflets (available online) to assist in locating these records:
Some seventeenth-century records have been abstracted:
- Bowler, Hugh. London Session Records, 1605-1685. Leeds: John Whitehead, 1934. FHL Book 942 B4c v. 34.
Peter Wilson Coldham indexed felons who were transported to the American colonies from these records: FHL CD-ROM no. 2150.
Some Consistory Court depositions have been published online. Clerks identified many witnesses' birthplaces, residences, ages, and occupations:
- Pre-1500 - Consistory Database: Testimony in the Late Medieval London Consistory Court - free.
- 1586-1611 - London Consistory Court Depositions, 1586-1611: list and indexes (1995). Digital version at British History Online - free.
- 1700-1713 - Webb, Cliff. London's Bawdy Courts: Consistory Court, Index to Cases and Depositions (with Birthplaces). London: Society of Genealogists Enterprises Ltd., c1999. FHL Book 942 P22w; digital version at British Origins (£).
London had many manors. London Manorial Records provides further information.
- This page was last modified on 12 September 2012, at 18:59.
- This page has been accessed 1,849 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page