Long Beach Public LibraryEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The Questing Heirs Genealogy Society oversees the genealogy collection at the Long Beach Public Library. They have a small but nice collection of books and many military registers. There are long runs of these:
- US Bureau of Naval Personnel Commissioned and Warrant Officers
- US Coast Guard Registers
- US Department of the Air Force Registers
- Official Army Registers
They have California, rancho and Mexican era history, computer indexes to statewide records, Great Registers, military records, miners, and early settlers, Long Beach obituary searches, Long Beach History Index, Long Beach newspapers, African Americans, American Indians, and published genealogies.
They have items specific to California research including these:
- Los Angeles County Marriages from 1851-1877
- 1890 Great Register (voting record) for Los Angeles County
- 1890 Great Register for Orange County
- a northern California marriage index for 1850-1860,
- the 1850 Census of LA City and County
- Old Santa Ana Cemetery Records
- Spanish/Mexican Families of Early California, 1769-1850.
Adjacent to the genealogy is the history collection of the main library. That includes the following county histories: Mendocino, Humboldt, Lake, Napa, Tuolumne, San Joaquin, Contra Costa, Marin, San Luis Obispo, Santa Cruz, Fresno, Kern, Santa Barbara and Ventura. There were lots of books on Los Angeles City and County and on San Francisco. There were various regional topics, such as: Lake Tahoe, Sierra Nevada, Central Valley, Sacramento, Death Valley, Anza-Borrego. Among the many general California histories were The Works of Hubert Howe Bancroft, a number of his volumes on California history.
This library also has several newspapers in its collection: The Long Beach Press Telegram, The Los Angeles Times, and the New York Times. They also have Long Beach city directories and old high school yearbooks. There is a history of Long Beach special collection.
- ↑ William Dollarhide and Ronald A. Bremer. America's Best Genealogy Resource Centers (Bountiful, Utah: Heritage Quest, 1998), 19 and 21. At various libraries (WorldCat). FHL Ref Book 973 J54d.
- ↑ Research Location - Long Beach Public Library in Association of Professional Genealogists (blog) (accessed 11 May 2014).
- ↑ Obituary Requests in Long Beach Public Library Website (accessed 11 May 2014).
- This page was last modified on 11 May 2014, at 21:07.
- This page has been accessed 353 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page