Longview Washington Family History CenterEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
Center Contacts and Hours
- 1721 30th Ave Longview WA 98632-3404 United States
- Tuesday:10:00am-2:00pm and 6:30pm-9:00pm
- 3rd Thursday Night: 6:30-9:00pm (Hosted by Rainier Ward)
- Wednesday and Thursday nights: by appointment
Closed Thanksgiving week and the last 2 weeks of December.
Calendar and Events
Family Discovery Day
Oct 17, 2015
10:00 Family History Staff Kick-off
11:30 Technology set-up
12:30-4:30 The Event
Community and Families encouraged to attend.
Class Schedule: Class matrix is closer!
We need to confirm one last session of our 16 adult and young adult sessions. The matrix will be published here. Hold tight!
Staff Training Meetings
Next Staff Meeting:
26 August 2015, 7 PM
High Priest Leaders invited again. Rick Marshall to speak.
Review of "My Family" and the Online Consultant Training series.
Preparation for the October, 17, 2015 Family Discover Day.
Introduction to ZOOM! (not the cereal)
30 June 2015, 7 PM
High Priest Leaders, FHC Librarians, Ward Consultantss
Our meeting is to stress the importance of supporting the priesthood in their ward and stake goals, and the importance of the leadership of the high priest group leadership.
Assignments: All staff are to fill out the online "My Family" booklet and to finish the online consultant training at All Callings-->Family History-->Consultants-->Online Training. the 6 lessons range from 15-30 minutes long. We will discuss experiences at the 25 August 2015 meeting.
PowerPoint presentation available to consultants having missed the meeting by emailing Joan Enders at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Directors' Meeting: 28 July 7 PM, FHC, 20 Aug 2015, FHC, 3 Sep 2015 Zoom
- FamilySearch Catalog: This center has the ability to order any of the films and fiche available through the FamilySearch Catalog.
- General genealogical reference books with a Northwest emphasis, in house microfilms and microfische.
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
Hardware and Equipment
- 8 PC stations for online research
One with a dual-screen for teaching or low vision use
- Microfilm scanning and printing
- Document FamilySearch scanning
- Photographic FamilySearch scanning
- Right and left-handed microfilm readers
- And yes, even a classic microfische reader
- 8 PC stations for online research
Books and other materials
- Genealogical reference books, print
- Genealogical referene books, digital format
- Microfische film (cataloged)
- Microfilms library
- Genealogical forms (fees)
- Microfilm rentals
- Start your visit discussing your research goal for the day with one of our librarians.
- Ask for a consultation at any point of your visit.
- Discover the unique online sources with a librarian's introduction.
Special appointments for groups and families. Email email@example.com.
Staff Research Specialties
FamilySearch: Myles Jones
Ancestry.com Laurie Stuart
Danish Research: Myles Jones
Swedish Research: Diane Wilkinson
Scottish Research: Wayne Cooke
Use of technology: Joan Enders
FH Smart Storage: Bob Vernon
Find-A-Grave: Bob Vernon
Midwest Research: Marie Job
Print Research Techniques: Laurie Stewart
Online Research Techniques: Yvonne Wedgworth
Salt Lake Inquiries: Sandra Saunders
Secretary Hand: Joan Enders
BillionGraves: Talea Jones
Resources in the Local Area
(This section is to highlight other resources in your area that will be helpful for individuals doing research there in your location, if there are any, such as government offices, historical societies, etc.)
(Include links to other websites of interest to those who visit your center such as links to the city, county and state wiki pages where your center is located.)
Volunteer at the Center
The Longview Washington Family History Center is looking for, not a few good men and women, but for many good men and women and youth to volunteer at the center!
Not only will you have a set time to discover more about YOU and your ancestors' influence on you, but you can share your enthusiasm with others who want to start this exciting and fulfilling journey!
Call or stop by the Center during our posted hours to see how you can help.
- This page was last modified on 21 August 2015, at 03:30.
- This page has been accessed 1,539 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News