Loudoun County, Virginia House HistoriesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
:See also the main article on genealogical research in Loudoun County, Virginia.
The Lewis File, at the Thomas Balch Library in Leesburg, Va., contains "over 1,000 buildings surveyed for the Virginia Historic Landmarks Commission; the Historic House File - information on homes and public buildings, such as schools, mills, churches, and bridges in the county." The William and Sarah Nettle House, known as Waterford, in Loudoun County, is displayed to the right.
Pat Rock published a column titled "Historic Houses and Places of Loudoun County," in Loudoun: The 1757 Legacy, Newsletter of the Loudoun Genealogy Club. This journal is available as an FHL Collection. Here is a list of the houses, their occupants, and the newsletter citations:
- Buckskin Manor, Vol. 4, No. 2 (June 1996):7. [Built by the Cocke family.]
- The Carr House, Vol. 4, No. 4 (Dec. 1996):7. [Home of the Romine and Blakely families.]
- Catalpa Grove, Vol. 5, No. 1 (Mar. 1997):7. [Home owned by the Poak, McGavack, Colwell, and Vandeventer families.]
- The Chamblin House, Round Hill, Va., Vol. 6, No. 1 (Mar. 1998):7. [Home of the Chamblin family.]
- Chesnut Hill, Vol. 3, No. 4 (Fall 1995):5. [Home of the Clapham and Mason families.]
- Coton, Vol. 2, No. 1 (Fall 1993):4. [Home of the Lee family.]
- Exeter, Vol. 3, No. 3 (Spring 1995):6. [Home of the Mason, Selden, Rust, and Carr families.]
- Greenway Farm, Vol. 5, No. 3 (Sep. 1997):7. [Home of the Mead family.]
- Hannah Brown House, Vol. 4, No. 3 (Sep. 1996):7. [Built by Thomas Birkby, home of the McIntosh and Dezerega families.]
- Harrison House, Vol. 5, No. 2 (June 1997):7. [Home of the Minor, Hereford, Thornton, Losch, Gray, Benedict, and Harrison families.]
- Harrison House (also known as Glenfiddich), Vol. 7, No. 1 (Mar. 1999):7. [Built by Henry Tazewell Harrison, home of the Harrison family, leased to James Dickey, author of Deliverance.]
- Hearth House, Vol. 6, Nos. 2-3 (Sep. 1998):7. [Built by James Trayhern, home of the Tavenner and Dillon families.]
- Locust Grove/ Liberty Hall, Vol. 1, No. 4 (Summer 1993):2. [Home of the Van Deventer family.]
- Rock Spring Farm, Vol. 5, No. 4 (Dec. 1997):7.
- Stoney Lonesome, Vol. 4, No. 1 (Mar. 1996):5. [Home of the Lickey, Eaton, and New families.]
Other Loudoun County house histories include:
- Bergner, Audrey Windsor. Old Plantations and Historic Homes around Middleburg. Free Lookups Available!
- Lewis, John G. "Coton Manor over the Ages," The Bulletin of the Historical Society of Loudoun County, Virginia, 1957-1976. Leesburg, Va.: Goose Creek Productions, 1998, pp. 245-266. Available at FHL. Free Lookups Available!
- McGhee, George C. "George Washington's Trusteeship over the Estate of the Reverend Dr. Charles Green, 1765-1772, Which Included the Present Area of Farmer's Delight Farm, Loudoun County, Virginia," Proceedings of the American Philosophical Society, Vol. 143, No. 4 (Dec. 1999):639-647. Available at JSTOR ($).
- Monroe, James. "Monroe's Estate in Loudoun County," The William and Mary Quarterly, Second Series, Vol. 14, No. 2 (Apr. 1934):168. Available at JSTOR ($).
- "Oatlands: A National Trust Property, Leesburg, Virginia," Loudoun: The 1757 Legacy, Newsletter of the Loudoun Genealogy Club, Vol. 9, Nos. 1 & 2 (Mar. & Jun. 2001):1-2. Available at FHL.
- Osburn, Penelope M. "Exeter Plantation: Its History and Architecture," The Bulletin of the Historical Society of Loudoun County, Virginia, 1957-1976. Leesburg, Va.: Goose Creek Productions, 1998, pp. 225-244. Available at FHL. Free Lookups Available!
- Williams, Harrison. Legends of Loudoun: An Account of the History and Homes of a Border County of Virginia's Northern Neck. Richmond, Virginia: Garrett and Massie, 1938. Available at FHL; reprint at FHL; digital versions at FamilySearch Books Online , Ancestry ($), and Heritage Quest Online ($). Free Lookups Available!
- ↑ Marty Hiatt, CG, "The Thomas Balch Library, Leesburg, Virginia," The Virginia Genealogical Society Newsletter, Vol. 22, No. 4 (Aug. 1996):1-3.
- This page was last modified on 2 November 2012, at 15:01.
- This page has been accessed 1,598 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki